Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying I am so scared to get itch and have went back and forth on weather to get some tangs because of their thin slime coat resulting in them being more itch prone (at least this is what I have been told). But, I love them and would really like a couple.

What are some of the smaller breeds that aren't as prone to getting it? 150 gallon DT tank

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a QT or buy them pre quarantined. There is no other way around other than gambling with their, and every other fish in the tank's, lives Marine ich can infect fish with thin, thick, and in between kinds of slime coats

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a QT or buy them pre quarantined. There is no other way around other than gambling with their, and every other fish in the tank's, lives Marine ich can infect fish with thin, thick, and in between kinds of slime coats
They would be QT'd weather I did it myself or bought one but I have heard of them getting stressed and getting it during things like new tank additions or something similar.

Nutramar Foods

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no guarantee any fish will not already have ich . Or to say your system doesn’t already have it .
It’s said that stress , poor diet is a huge contributing factor in the fish health

but … some more prone to ich can be any of the powder named tangs such as powder blue , brown , gold rim ,

blue tangs such as hippo or yellow belly ( but I was told yellow belly are a little more hardy .

Stress , being bullied , poor diets and lack of swimming space can all induce stres illnesses as well

@vetteguy53081 has 1000 tangs . He can probably offer more info

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Let me preface this by saying I am so scared to get itch and have went back and forth on weather to get some tangs because of their thin slime coat resulting in them being more itch prone (at least this is what I have been told). But, I love them and would really like a couple.

What are some of the smaller breeds that aren't as prone to getting it? 150 gallon DT tank
I understand your concern and its hard to say which tangs have thicker slime coats and most tangs are susceptible to mainly flukes and velvets. Even when buying quarantined fish, it does not mean the fish is once it leaves a facility remains free0- assume they have something and even do a 14-21 quarantine to get them eating and confirm free of foreign anything.
Its more than once it is seen ich or other ailment on a quarantined fish that contracts something and blame often directed at seller when the shipper leaves boxes on an airport ramp, changes in ammonia and water pressure in bag and ph change when bag opened and also
yellow and yellow eye kole tang seem to be the most resistant

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back