Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day a co-worker and I where talking about our tanks and some of the ideas we want to do. He has a much larger tank (150 gal) then I (30 gal). We started talking about fish and how tangs would help with both macro and micro algae control, and how tangs would do really nicely. But with such a small tank I said I couldn't due them. He's response was to find a small one young one with the long term plan to relocated/ pass it onto another reefer once it gets to big for my tank.

My question is this. Is this a good plan. To pick up a fish knowing full well that it'll need to be rehomed in the nearish future? I like the idea not gonna lie as then I would be able to get some interesting fish in my tank that I wouldn't be able to do long term. What is everyone's thoughts on this??

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AS

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few tangs that won’t grow real big and would do fine. Even WWC eels them in there small softie tanks. Specifically a Tomini Tang. It a very easy going small tang that might suit you well. That was my first Tang in my current tank and she’s beautiful..

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this several times without issue. I currently have a hippo and a sailfin in my max nano peninsula (26gal). I asked for the smallest ones they had and they nailed it. About 1.5" on the hippo and about 2" on the sailfin.

OP
OP
mww00ds

mww00ds

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would struggle with this as I get attached to my pet fish. Would be a recipe for a bigger tank in no time lol
I have that same problem. Both the wife and I would get attached. But I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't allow to put in a 4th tank. LOL

Avast
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question to myself would be why? Why put a fish in a tank that I know is too small? Why do this knowing I eventually have to catch it or it will be miserable? Would I put a dog or cat into a cage that’s too small for it? It just makes no sense to me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is this. Is this a good plan.
30 gallon?

As a QT for some of the smaller species for a couple months, sure. As a home, that isn't a good idea

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 4 plus inch tangs, my tank is over 2 yrs old, neither one of the tangs would touch hair algae when it was more than fuzz. If you have an issue with a severe case of hair algae, tangs won't help. They will graze on hair algae that is very short but not when you can braid it lol
Get your nutrients phosphate/nitrate under control and that will end your problem. It took me over a year to get the GHA under control, combination of nutrient control and tank maturity.
My tangs laughed at me when the GHA started to grow, told me they were not gardeners.
This is how bad it was and now GHA free, this is my Urchin Meatball
Photo_1673386850256.jpg

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here to answer or reaffirm your tang question because your mind is already made up. On the other hand you should be aware that buying both invert or fish for utility doesn't always work the way you think. You buy inverts and fish because you like them and want to keep them long term like a dog or a cat. Not treat them like a commodity.

The reason for buying because you love rather than utility is because all displays, and animals, are different. Mine very well may eat everything and when you buy one it may not. It just depends. Doesn't matter if you are buying it to control algae or aiptasia the utility factor may never happen. Then what? If I buy it because I want it then I dont' really care what it does. See the difference?

Also as mentioned consider the possible difficulties in removing the animal. Your display may be doing amazing with coral growth like a goose laying golden eggs. You can frag mini colonies. Know that the fish you now want to rehome due to size and/or aggression (happens when there is limited room) isn't going to go willingly. You have to trap it (size) or net it or a combination of both. You may have to remove rocks or corals or both. If it doesn't go easily you now just added stress and chaos to a otherwise perfect and peaceful display. What now.

In my opinion you are looking at it the wrong way. How old is the display. Is it a part of the displays evolution (ugly phases and stages)? Is it something I'm doing wrong. Is it something I'm not doing. Can I manage it myself manually?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day a co-worker and I where talking about our tanks and some of the ideas we want to do. He has a much larger tank (150 gal) then I (30 gal). We started talking about fish and how tangs would help with both macro and micro algae control, and how tangs would do really nicely. But with such a small tank I said I couldn't due them. He's response was to find a small one young one with the long term plan to relocated/ pass it onto another reefer once it gets to big for my tank.

My question is this. Is this a good plan. To pick up a fish knowing full well that it'll need to be rehomed in the nearish future? I like the idea not gonna lie as then I would be able to get some interesting fish in my tank that I wouldn't be able to do long term. What is everyone's thoughts on this??

The smaller species like bristletooths, especially small ones... don't really often eat the problematic algae (like gha) so...

They just like to scrape the short micro algae that grows on the glass, the stuff that snails eat anywho.

Then pee in your tank to make ammonia to feed the pest algae ;)

Also keep in mind if you keep replacing the Tang with a new small one.. this is a chance to bring in disease every time..

then you have to catch it without damaging the corals..

tangs can be bullies...

meh..

Not worth it to me. I kept nano's for 12?? years before I got a bigger tank, never did a Tang in one because of all the reasons above.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back