Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube mixed reef with a single xr30. I'm looking to supplement some lighting to help shading on my montipora and acros.

I'm stuck between a 24" 4 bulb t5 HO hybrid, the reef brite XHO add on or the AI blades.

Which one would you choose and why?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the t5 and just throw on the blades or reef brites (or which ever is easier for you to angle inward). I will say I am surprised you don't think the xr30 is enough for a 24x24x24 cube though.
I know it is enough for now, there is still shadowing even on my small colonies, when they get bigger its going to get worse. Anytime you only have one point of light you you get shadows no matter what you do.

Top Shelf Aquatics

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s would be best in terms of helping with shading, without question. Really, 4 T5 bulbs over a 24" cube would light the whole thing with the Radion supplementing. They don't work for some setups because of mounting, and some people don't like the glare or how 'flat' the tank will look.

If I were to add a 'bar' to that setup, I would probably get a Reefbreeders bar. They can ramp up and down with an included controller now too. I'm not a fan of the Reefbrites, because they have a narrow spectrum and are weak and expensive for what they are.

I like the idea of Blades, but the reviews make them a non-starter for me. Blue on one side and white on the other, exposed wires, missing complete ends of the fixture. They are too expensive for that kind of quality control.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have zero issues lighting that tank with a xr30 I used a 15 and it was fine by itself.. if anything raise it up a tad to get better coverage… you could fry stuff all over that tank with a xr30 no problem lol..

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED AND AS T5 BULBS ARE NOT GOING AWAY.

Aren't T5 bulbs going away or harder to come by now? I thought I read that there are only 2 manufactures, ATI and Geissman, and that the bulbs were being phased out of production. (I am looking to supplement XR30s as well).

Is this not accurate?

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hilarious. You are flat out telling people that you have shadows now with smaller corals and some are telling you that it fake news.

You know the answers... just gotta choose. You could also add another xr30 and spread them out. This is why I used MH over my 60g cube that I did for a contest tank - by the time that you supplement, you will be at or over 250w.

If anybody read that T5 are going out of production for hobby uses, then whomever you read was totally wrong.

Nutramar Foods

The_Skrimp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reefbrite XHOs on my radions. It does well at filling shaded in areas with a nice blue glow and adds a bit of par but it isn’t a whole lot. Definitely not compareable to T5s. That said, I’m very happy with them and my coral seem to be happy and growing better than before plus adds a great pop of color. Between the xhos and the blades I’d go xho all the way. They’re considerably cheaper plus a cleaner look if you get the kit that mounts directly to your radion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 60 cube mixed reef with a single xr30. I'm looking to supplement some lighting to help shading on my montipora and acros.

I'm stuck between a 24" 4 bulb t5 HO hybrid, the reef brite XHO add on or the AI blades.

Which one would you choose and why?
Orphek OR# light bars- Sky blue or blue Plus

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back