+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLOOOOO

Fairly new to the Hobby, I have my Red Sea Reefer 170, I'm going to be having this as a fairly heavily stocked mixed reef, I'm a bit stuck with the lighting options, I was considering the RS LED 90 but have also seen people recommending the Radion Xr30 Pro would one of these be a better option to the other or are there other lights that may be a better option for my tank? also is it worth spending between £200 - £300 on used lighting or would I be better off spending between £400 - £500 buying new? :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many brands over the years as i am a bit of a geek when it comes to electronics. The only light that stays on my tank in the end is the Radion. I have the RS 200xl so it's the same dimensions as your tank. I have the XR30 over my tank. Grows everything like weeds.

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef lighting is like religion! :D In this case, i would shop around for a used XR30 gen. 5 - there will be loads out there at decent prices..

I have a tank twice the witdh of yours and i am running 3 x Radion XR15 gen. 6. I wish i had gone for 3 used XR30s in stead!

Best of luck!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

AKAHIRST

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many brands over the years as i am a bit of a geek when it comes to electronics. The only light that stays on my tank in the end is the Radion. I have the RS 200xl so it's the same dimensions as your tank. I have the XR30 over my tank. Grows everything like weeds.
Seems Radion is going to be a winner, is there much of a difference between the gen 4 and gen 5 to justify the jump in price?

OP
OP
A

AKAHIRST

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef lighting is like religion! :D In this case, i would shop around for a used XR30 gen. 5 - there will be loads out there at decent prices..

I have a tank twice the witdh of yours and i am running 3 x Radion XR15 gen. 6. I wish i had gone for 3 used XR30s in stead!

Best of luck!
Is it worth the price jump from Gen 4 to 5?

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth the price jump from Gen 4 to 5?
Never owned either mate, so I am not the right one to ask. Keep in mind that the older lights you buy, chances are that some of the LEDs aren't quite up to speed.

Gen 4 was a great light when released. Time and new lights that are even better doesn't change that fact..

Recently bought two x Hydra 52 used. Rather old at that time- but they are mint. It is always possible to find a good deal, just be a but cautious what you buy! :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

BSA
Back