What skimmer would you use in Trigger System Sump?

Ecotech Marine

Jolene1011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to make some changes to my skimmer in my sump. I currently have a Trigger Systems Sapphire 39 on a 220gal tank. I am preparing to try out the Triton Method. I would LOVE to buy the new Triton 44 Trigger but since I've had this sump less than a year I can't quite justify it. So to make the best of my current equipment, I am going to move my skimmer back to the the current refugium section which is 10.5 x 15.5. The problem is that my current skimmer is Reef Octopus that is too large to move to that section. It takes up the 14 x 15.5 section of the sump with minimal clearance. So that being said, what would everyone recommend for internal skimmer? I haven't had any issues with my Reef Octopus in the 4 years I've had it, but am open to other brands. Thanks for any suggestions.
sump.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my TUNZE 9410, but you'd need to decide if it is big enough for your reef. It's rated for 317 gallons.

The AquaMaxx FC-280 looks like it might be a good fit for your system. It's rated for up to 420 Gallons (light bioload) or 240 Gallons (heavy bioload) and would fit in the dimensions you listed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Jolene1011

Jolene1011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Hope you find something that works for you. Be sure to let us know what you end up using.
I am liking the AquaMaxx you suggested. Marine Depot currently doesn't have it in stock but that gives me time to make sure I'm not just excited and making a rash decision when I see something new for my tank as I am prone to do ;Facepalm

AS

joec

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am liking the AquaMaxx you suggested. Marine Depot currently doesn't have it in stock but that gives me time to make sure I'm not just excited and making a rash decision when I see something new for my tank as I am prone to do ;Facepalm

There are a fair amount of complaints of expensive impeller replacements and frequent proprietary pump replacements on previous Aquamaxx models in online forums....just an FYI

Nutramar Foods

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the skimmers that have the pumps encased in the body should work (like the NYOS skimmer). I did use both a Reef Octopus and a NYOS in my Crystal Trigger Systems sump before upgrading to a bigger sump.

Erick Armanii

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the skimmers that have the pumps encased in the body should work (like the NYOS skimmer). I did use both a Reef Octopus and a NYOS in my Crystal Trigger Systems sump before upgrading to a bigger sump.
The triton sump has a bigger fuge which results in a smaller than traditional skimmer section so most heavily stocked systems are running oversized skimmers. So the footprint and performance I’m looking for has been difficult to find.

Triton 44 sump skimmer section:
9.5” x 15.5”

Most skimmers rated for heavy stock tanks 150 and above have a bigger footprint.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back