Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be doing a large scale removal of bubble algae from my tank. I have a ton of it infesting almost every inch of my tank. I’m worried about the possible effects of this on my nutrient levels and I was wondering if any of you know what I should expect and what I can do to counteract those effects and minimize nutrient swings during this process.

CLICK TO VIEW

Jax3545

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be doing a large scale removal of bubble algae from my tank. I have a ton of it infesting almost every inch of my tank. I’m worried about the possible effects of this on my nutrient levels and I was wondering if any of you know what I should expect and what I can do to counteract those effects and minimize nutrient swings during this process.
I've pulled and scrubbed rock in old water during a water change. One thing I missed was adding beneficial bacteria. So I had the same problem repeat itself a week later. I didn't do well with lights out, it turned out to be a very temporary fix. I just bought a bunch of copepods as I'm starting to see some turf algae (tanks 8 months old.)
I hope that helps. I've been pretty good at bad ideas in the past.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pulled and scrubbed rock in old water during a water change. One thing I missed was adding beneficial bacteria. So I had the same problem repeat itself a week later. I didn't do well with lights out, it turned out to be a very temporary fix. I just bought a bunch of copepods as I'm starting to see some turf algae (tanks 8 months old.)
I hope that helps. I've been pretty good at bad ideas in the past.
I’m more worried about large nutrient swings and how they might be triggered by a large scale manual removal session of this bubble algae.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your residual no3 and po4 could go up a bit, but maybe not. The bubble algae are consuming some, but there is no way to know if they were outcompeting things that now might like to have some ammonium and phosphorous now too.

Just have some quality test kits on hand and pay attention.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back