+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please identify???

26FDF0B4-5A8C-44AC-831A-30F96F9C7890.jpeg EF5FEC5E-5164-48F4-95FD-A2CBCB5E0DF8.jpeg B28AAB23-890C-4599-AF29-BA444DD90651.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are asterinas that are corallivores. Thankfully they’re rare in our systems.

Was the coral completely healthy before you saw the asterina on it? I only ask because most asterinas don’t go for healthy coral but they’ll eat dead or dying tissue. I’ve also heard of asterinas (and other CUC members like bristle worms, hermit crabs, etc) eating living coral tissue if there’s not enough food for them.

reeffreak911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some will say asterina are harmless but not me ive seen them go after healthy coral they were on my gmk doing damage once i started pulling them out with tweezers the gmk recovered they dont let a coral thats damage from fragging or whatever other reason recover they go for the kill they say they go after dying coral but how will the coral recover if its eaten ive also seen them irritate mushroom then eat them

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are the ones i have
I have a couple that are the size of a quarter, just munching away on algae. One cool observation that I’ve been seeing in my tank is these stars will hover next to berghia eating aiptasia, then go in when the berghia are finished. It’s as if they sense the aiptasia are dying and they are there to help clean up.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

HomebroodExotics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones i have
I have the ones with the red stripes. I’ve seen them eat some sick zoas over a couple days. The zoas probably could have been saved but the asterinas ate them up anyway. But they mostly left my Rasta zoas alone which were right next to the sick zoas. I will definitely avoid asterinas in the future though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

reeffreak911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ones with the red stripes. I’ve seen them eat some sick zoas over a couple days. The zoas probably could have been saved but the asterinas ate them up anyway. But they mostly left my Rasta zoas alone which were right next to the sick zoas. I will definitely avoid asterinas in the future though.
I also saw them eating at the bottom of a healthy blasto i removed all the ones i could catch and the blasto recovered how can you discredit someone with first hand experience its like clown fish and tail spot goby i saw a clown fish keep tearing off tentacles from a frogspawn till it died i had a tail spot goby and it kept ripping at the amazeball goni till it died id say all reef safe with caution

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back