What kind of coral is this?

mcauthor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet store didn’t know what it was, and I was told when I got it was soft coral. They were selling it for cheap, so I got it. It’s doing very well, and for the past few days I thought it was some kind of soft coral, until I had to move it, and touched it by mistake. It’s definitely not soft coral, and it seems to open all day and night.

IMG_2617.jpeg IMG_2614.jpeg IMG_2616.jpeg IMG_2613.jpeg IMG_2612.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mcauthor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of sharper pics?

It almost looks like a duncan to me but that’s not a soft coral, it’s an lps. If it’s truly a soft coral, my guess is a type of toadstool.
Sure! I will add more pictures. It’s definitely not a soft coral, it’s like a rock lol.
IMG_2624.jpeg
IMG_2626.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet store didn’t know what it was, and I was told when I got it was soft coral. They were selling it for cheap, so I got it. It’s doing very well, and for the past few days I thought it was some kind of soft coral, until I had to move it, and touched it by mistake. It’s definitely not soft coral, and it seems to open all day and night.

IMG_2617.jpeg IMG_2614.jpeg IMG_2616.jpeg IMG_2613.jpeg IMG_2612.jpeg
An unhappy duncan

OP
OP
M

mcauthor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unhappy duncan
Probably because I moved it. It’s usually completely opened up, but it seemed to be angry that I moved it. I thought it was getting too much flow. It’s holding a grudge. I should have took pictures when it was open, but I wasn’t thinking until I felt it was hard coral. It seems to be happier at the bottom of the tank. Also, sorry for the crappy pictures. I took them at night by turning on the light. That probably made it even angrier… Do any of you guys know what they eat lol

Last edited:

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because I moved it. It’s usually completely opened up, but it seemed to be angry that I moved it. I thought it was getting too much flow. It’s holding a grudge. I should have took pictures when it was open, but I wasn’t thinking until I felt it was hard coral. It seems to be happier at the bottom of the tank. Also, sorry for the crappy pictures. I took them at night by turning on the light. That probably made it even angrier… Do any of you guys know what they eat lol
I don’t feed my Duncans anything specific. They just get whatever happens to float by.

Land&Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking.
Me too! Very unhappy Duncan stump that finally found a new home. You probably saved its life if the lfs didn’t know what they had and it looks like that (especially bc Duncan’s are one of the easiest LPS corals to care for…u almost have to “try” to kill them). Was it a Petco by chance? I ask bc of all the petcos I’ve been too in my life (mainly for my dogs or parrot), only ONE has ever had a REALLY great saltwater section. And that’s bc they poached their employees from the local maritime center by offering better salaries. I’m sure there’s other good ones out there. Not knocking on Petco…but I’m not NOT knocking on them either ;-)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back