What kind of circulation pumps would you use for flow in a 100-gallon acro-dominant tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had this question come up recently, and I figured it'd be a good one to put to our community. What kind of circulation pumps would you use for flow in a 100-gallon acro-dominant tank?

I'm a fan of the crossflow gyre type pumps (I'm running 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350s on my 225g tank), so I recommended using something smaller but similar. I'm just curious what the rest of you think. What would you recommend?

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my WAV pumps but the are obsolete. Vortech?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. ;). How much smaller would they need to go? Would 2 be enough? I heard that the flow should be random and indirect. So would a person want to add a third pump say in the back somewhere? Maybe a Nero 7 type?

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my WAV pumps but the are obsolete. Vortech?
I am confused by your love and obsolete comment, why are they outdated? they can do very much the same as a Vortech would do, I don't have WAV but, what would you gain from changing?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why wait to add? Cost, not needed yet maybe? :)
Dual mp40 can provide substantial flow in a 48” tank and would meet the needs from a tank full of frags, up to decent colonies.

Once your sps really take off and you have many many large branches, you may need to add extra flow down the line to compensate for all the branches causing obstruction and to eliminate possible dead spots That are created as growth gets large

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back