Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing from @Randy Holmes-Farley ’s original thread on favorite elements, which you can find here:

What is your least favorite chemical?

Phosphorus, nitrogen, and oxygen are examples of elements; phosphate, nitrate, and carbonate are examples of chemicals.

:)

Corals.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, good question.

A few possible choices... (I'll add more later lol)

Possible choice 1. Least favorite might be Mn2(CO)10 (dimanganese decacarbonyl; at least I think that was it, might have been cobalt). I was synthesizing it in an advanced chemistry class at Cornell. It required high pressure (referred to as a bomb) to force the CO to combine with the manganese. While trying to transfer it in a solvent (tetrahydrofuran, I think), without exposing it to air, the round bottomed flask broke and the black toxic liquid soaked my lab coat and pants. I quick whipped them off, but had no other pants. I had to walk back to my dorm through the Cornell winter/snow with bare legs sticking out of another lab coat I found.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, good question.

A few possible choices... (I'll add more later lol)

Possible choice 1. Least favorite might be Mn2(CO)10 (dimanganese decacarbonyl; at least I think that was it, might have been cobalt). I was synthesizing it in an advanced chemistry class at Cornell. It required high pressure (referred to as a bomb) to force the CO to combine with the manganese. While trying to transfer it in a solvent (tetrahydrofuran, I think), without exposing it to air, the round bottomed flask broke and the black toxic liquid soaked my lab coat and pants. I quick whipped them off, but had no other pants. I had to walk back to my dorm through the Cornell winter/snow with bare legs sticking out of another lab coat I found.
Oh my god!!

This was TOO funny! I read this paragraph multiple times.

Thank goodness I asked this question. This made my day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another least favorite chemical: Radon. This one also happens to be an element as well.

About a year and a half ago, we acquired a very old (built about 1800) brick farmhouse in western Massachusetts. About 1/3 of the floor of the basement was dirt, as was the entire basement of the barn that has a living unit in it.

Radon testing showed levels slightly elevated and we wanted to be sure there was no increased risk of cancer from radon. Cementing a basement in a finished structure is no small thing. Lots of wheelbarrowing. Total costs to cement and install necessary radon exhaust systems in both locations was far, far more than a big reef tank. lol

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back