Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wouldn't I like to see captive-bred? I'm sure people have mentioned this, but for example, unique regional variations like Cocos Island Lemonpeels, which should also be a good commercial proposition, since they are just as easy to breed as regular lemonpeels, but command a far higher price due to rarity, and would therefore be far more profitable, so long as breeders kept supply relatively low. Candy Basslets would be a similar idea. Both of these have been bred before, but not commercially.

I really hope someday soon all the common dwarf angelfish in the hobby will be consistently available captive bred. (Common as in, not like, Peppermint angelfish. Which belong to the first category of fish I was talking about - rare, for one reason or another, but generally have already been captive bred at least once.) Also would love to see more anthias. Especially some of the smaller, more elaborately colored Pseudanthias, like smithvanizi or ventralis. Or genuses of anthias very rare in the hobby, like sailfin anthias.

Lol, but I'd also really like to be able to get common smaller fish like Tailspot Blennies. Not sure how practical that is, commercially, since they already go for a low price wild-caught. But I adore them. Or Trimma Gobies, which are just gorgeous, and perfect for picos and nanos, but quite rare in the hobby. Or some of the really pretty dartfish from around Japan...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

reefer fro canada

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

copperbands without a doubt

Wrigley&Ivy17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help but throw my opinion in too. l would love to see the Leopard Wrasse captive bred and the powder blue tang! These both can be fragile fish and would love a potential “hardier” captive bred one. Here’s a question for everyone please and thank you. Who has captive bred Blue Hippo Tangs for sale?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AquaCave Logo Banner

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200310_110306.jpg

Pinnatus batfish! The wild caught don't do well in aquariums, but captive bred are so much easier and better. I'm waiting to get a couple more for the BIG tank lol.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would LOVE to see the genicanthus semifasciatus bred in captivity. They're a truly underrated fish and absolutely stunning. They're a perfect candidate for reef tanks as they're one of the few reef safe angelfish available.

24027405669_4466b85027_b.jpg

Lionfish hunter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

Queen or emperor angel!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lionfish hunter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angelfish is one we have in our sights ;Wideyed
Add the Moorish idol to your sights! The most requested fish on this thread and you can add me to the list. It is sad to see so many moorish idols dying in the aquarium industry. Many people would love a moorish idol, they just don't want to play their part in killing these beautiful fish. If captive-bred turn out to be more hardy, it would be a game changer. Top 3 most beautiful fish in the ocean, ask just about anybody.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want is an exception in CITES that allows for the sale and transport of captive bred fish that are on the CITES list. Obviously rules need to be put in place to ensure they are captive bred and that a bunch of recently caught wild stock wasn't used for the breeding but that shouldn't be too difficult. My dream tank is dwarf seahorses but I live in Canada and they are nowhere to be found here because of CITES so that dream has gone up in smoke (or maybe more appropriately... set adrift on the tide). So upsetting!!

World Wide Corals

hqn77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor angel. Maybe it's just me having bad luck with these, but always had a hard time getting them to eat. Best one was a Diver's Den purchase, but that only lasted 2 months. Stopped eating after 3 weeks and starved. Definitely one of the prettiest dwarf angels.

mchans

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow. love it. Can't wait to get one.

I would love it if all the fish were tank-raised. Porcupine Puffer, Humu Trigger, Morish Idol that would have a high survivability rate.

Last edited:

Montagne

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hector's Goby please! This was the fish that tipped the scales and brought me over to saltwater. However, any Hector's goby I've tried has been timid and short lived. To my delight, my Biota Court Jester Goby is a chunky champ and always visible out front. I still have a soft spot for the Hector's Goby, though, and would love to keep a captive bred one in one of my other tanks if available.

Honorable mention also goes to the deepwater Roaps butterflyfishes (specifically the Mitratus) as beautiful reef-eligible butterfly options that are not often accessible to the hobby or my wallet.

Thank you for all the work you do and for the amazing captive bred fish you have already brought to my tanks and others!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back