What is the single best purchase you have made in Reefing?

Lyss

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch lol.

I got a tiger/strawberry conch a few months ago and IDK why, I just can't stand it, I love that creature. The eyes. It's also super chill -- goes around in circles forever and ever cleaning the entire tank sand and doesn't stop for much, even when my blenny nips algae off its shell or the hermit crabs hitch a ride to pick algae off its shell. I named it Mrs. Snuffelupagus.

My 4 trochus snails are a close second. They are workhorses, man. They've gotten big, and they even spawned -- found a few babies in the sump, too. The teeny tiny baby red banded shells are adorable.

Dakota_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch lol.

I got a tiger/strawberry conch a few months ago and IDK why, I just can't stand it, I love that creature. The eyes. It's also super chill -- goes around in circles forever and ever cleaning the entire tank sand and doesn't stop for much, even when my blenny nips algae off its shell or the hermit crabs hitch a ride to pick algae off its shell. I named it Mrs. Snuffelupagus.

My 4 trochus snails are a close second. They are workhorses, man. They've gotten big, and they even spawned -- found a few babies in the sump, too. The teeny tiny baby red banded shells are adorable.
I've always wanted a conch, but wasn't sure if it would do okay in my 20gal cube.

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will sound very simplistic but for me 18” curved tip forceps and 30” Maxspect coral grabber. Can’t tell you how many times these tools have saved me from having to put my hands/arm in the tank to place corals, grab knocked over corals/rocks, stir the sand, grab fireworms/crabs/mantis for removal. Absolutely indispensable.
I've been eyeing those!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer and to dial in my tank I purchased some BRS Refracto-Juice calibration fluid. Calibrated it and it was way off. It would read 1.025 but was actually 1.020. Calibrated it, increased salinity slowly and thought I was done.

Well, I needed to verify some temperatures anyways in order to dial in my heater controllers, so I went to my LFS and purchased the Hanna Salinity Checker which also reads temps. I checked my tank salinity with the Hanna and guess what? The salinity was STILL only at 1.020! I calibrated the Hanna twice with the cal fluid and verified it! After cal it read the calibration fluid at 35 ppt. Spot on.

So, lesson learned, I cannot trust those refractometers.

The Hannah Salinity checker is the single best purchase I have ever made in Reefing, hands down.

What is your best purchase?

Since dialing in my salinity, my corals have never looked better.
View attachment 2554807View attachment 2554809

Roller mat filter is the most helpful thing ever. No more filter socks
IMG_2785 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say my RODI system. I probably wouldn't still be in the hobby if I had to buy water and lug it around.
This was first on my list until the Hanna.

On my must have list too!

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not the single most/best purchase but an important one

A PAR meter

Check it out

I can see that. Have always wanted to check mine. But did it the cheap way and went to Red Seas site: they made a PAR map for their ReefLEDs.

Ill check out your vid!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back