What is the single best purchase you have made in Reefing?

Bato367

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer and to dial in my tank I purchased some BRS Refracto-Juice calibration fluid. Calibrated it and it was way off. It would read 1.025 but was actually 1.020. Calibrated it, increased salinity slowly and thought I was done.

Well, I needed to verify some temperatures anyways in order to dial in my heater controllers, so I went to my LFS and purchased the Hanna Salinity Checker which also reads temps. I checked my tank salinity with the Hanna and guess what? The salinity was STILL only at 1.020! I calibrated the Hanna twice with the cal fluid and verified it! After cal it read the calibration fluid at 35 ppt. Spot on.

So, lesson learned, I cannot trust those refractometers.

The Hannah Salinity checker is the single best purchase I have ever made in Reefing, hands down.

What is your best purchase?

Since dialing in my salinity, my corals have never looked better.
IMG_3126.jpegIMG_3125.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old school hydrometer. My Hanna salinity tester is always off by 2-3 points. A better topic would be.. What's caused you nearly instant buyers remorse. I have all kinds of that stuff.
100 dollar amazing looking zombie clown that was fully "QTed" by my old LFS. It had brook and nuked my tank. Rip Gumi the clown and Hector the Hector's goby that ate out of my hand sometimes

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO followed by simple LED lights (because when I first started I had ballasts and VHOs and wires everywhere) and then a wifi power strip so I can turn things on/off with my phone.

Sleepingtiger

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every component is vital for the success to my reef. Hard to pinpoint to one single item.

Apex - to monitor my ph in tank and kalk stirrer control my equipment
Kalk stirrer to easily maintain my kalk and calcium
MP40 to move the water effortlessly
Radions to light up my beautiful corals and fish
ATO reservoir to make my life easier

But if I had to choose one, it would be my salifert KH and Calcium test kits. I test my water so much during the setup phase... I have complete confidence in them and the test is so easy compared to Hanna and Red Sea. I only test my calcium one a week to verify my levels haven't dropped and my KH every other day as that fluctuates more. I am still trying to dial in the Kalk stirrer.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's the digital testing equipment. My Milwaukee digital refractometer and my hanna HR nitrate and ULR phosphate checkers along with the ALK checker has made everything a lot easier. In under 10 min I can get all my parameters and daily tests done.

Nutramar Foods

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer and to dial in my tank I purchased some BRS Refracto-Juice calibration fluid. Calibrated it and it was way off. It would read 1.025 but was actually 1.020. Calibrated it, increased salinity slowly and thought I was done.

Well, I needed to verify some temperatures anyways in order to dial in my heater controllers, so I went to my LFS and purchased the Hanna Salinity Checker which also reads temps. I checked my tank salinity with the Hanna and guess what? The salinity was STILL only at 1.020! I calibrated the Hanna twice with the cal fluid and verified it! After cal it read the calibration fluid at 35 ppt. Spot on.

So, lesson learned, I cannot trust those refractometers.

The Hannah Salinity checker is the single best purchase I have ever made in Reefing, hands down.

What is your best purchase?

Since dialing in my salinity, my corals have never looked better.
View attachment 2554807View attachment 2554809
I have a refractometer and two different swing arm hydrometers . The second one just came in the mail to see if it lined up with either two. All read differently with the same tank. I have to calibrate my refractometer almost every use. I don't know what to trust anymore. HAHAHA

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your original question, for me its my powerbar. My tank set up is very low tech and beginner compared to others but this powerbar makes switching things off and on a dream.
A264CA05-2589-4934-AD35-AE100E3907F3.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's the digital testing equipment.
Hanna digital checkers for me,,, but I'm color-blind.
Now my oldest son doesn't have to be bothered testing w/color-based testers (at least not as often)

EDIT -- just saw last post:
Yeah,,, ATO too!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back