What is the optimum μw/cm2 (microwatt per centimeter squared) for Marine Ich and other common saltwater parasite sterilization in reef tanks?

The deepwaterhorizon reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There doesn't seem to be one consistent answer for this topic and what compounds my confusion is that aqua ultraviolet states that reef tanks should aim for 30,000 - 45,000 μw/cm2 as any dose of radiation higher than that will sterilize plankton. Pentair aquatics also gives a drastically different μw/cm2 for parasite sterilization. I also have to factor in space as I have at most 30 inches, more if I mount the sterilizer sideways but I'd prefer not to. If anyone knows, or knows someone who knows, or is able to test this or has tested this than that would be very helpful. Thanks

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5913.jpeg

From humblefish

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There doesn't seem to be one consistent answer for this topic and what compounds my confusion is that aqua ultraviolet states that reef tanks should aim for 30,000 - 45,000 μw/cm2 as any dose of radiation higher than that will sterilize plankton. Pentair aquatics also gives a drastically different μw/cm2 for parasite sterilization. I also have to factor in space as I have at most 30 inches, more if I mount the sterilizer sideways but I'd prefer not to. If anyone knows, or knows someone who knows, or is able to test this or has tested this than that would be very helpful. Thanks
Lots of confusion comes in when discussing “ich” kill rates. It depends on the life stage examined, but also “ich” is not the same genus between freshwater and marine, so you can’t directly compare kill between those species, but many times people just see “ich” and figure they are the same.

There is a logic flaw in “higher doses will sterilize plankton” - Cryptocaryon theronts are “plankton” and will require that dose.

Finally, killing theronts with a pass through a UV does not equate to eliminating an active disease outbreak in an aquarium. For Amyloodinium, some of the parasites can complete their life cycle without leaving the fish. Then, there is some strong suspicion that Cryptocaryon can do so as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone! So at aqua ultraviolet's suggested 75,000 - 90,000 μw/cm2 would Marine Ich sterilization in the free floating Theron stage be viable? What about other parasites as well? I will accept that other phytoplankton will be sterilized since it seems that that is inevitable. I think I can try to supplement that with coral food.

Or is the 75,000 - 90,000 dose too low as pentair suggests a much higher μw/cm2 of 180,000 and other sources claim even that even greater amounts of radiation are needed! Thanks again for everyone's help and contributions.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing devils advocate here... The money and time wasted on dealing with UV would be better spent on quarantine and fallow. Even if you dial it in correctly, you're still never going to eliminate ich.

Upvote 0

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer operating at a dosage of 75,000 - 90,000 μw/cm² is effective for controlling the free-swimming stages of Marine Ich and other common parasites in reef tanks. While it may not completely eliminate an active infection, it reduces the parasite load and helps prevent the spread of infections. For comprehensive parasite management, combine UV sterilization with other best practices such as quarantine and targeted treatments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer operating at a dosage of 75,000 - 90,000 μw/cm² is effective for controlling the free-swimming stages of Marine Ich and other common parasites in reef tanks. While it may not completely eliminate an active infection, it reduces the parasite load and helps prevent the spread of infections. For comprehensive parasite management, combine UV sterilization with other best practices such as quarantine and targeted treatments.
Thanks! This helps a lot in my decision making.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of confusion comes in when discussing “ich” kill rates. It depends on the life stage examined, but also “ich” is not the same genus between freshwater and marine, so you can’t directly compare kill between those species, but many times people just see “ich” and figure they are the same.

There is a logic flaw in “higher doses will sterilize plankton” - Cryptocaryon theronts are “plankton” and will require that dose.

Finally, killing theronts with a pass through a UV does not equate to eliminating an active disease outbreak in an aquarium. For Amyloodinium, some of the parasites can complete their life cycle without leaving the fish. Then, there is some strong suspicion that Cryptocaryon can do so as well.
Does uv sterilization copepods?

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back