Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i have a 20g tank divided in the centre for my clownfish breeding project. New fish seem to be dying for no reason but there definitely is a reason which i dont know yet. Swimming happily at 6pm then dead at 9pm. But then theres others in there which are fine. Same tank same water. The tank is kept outdoors beside my lagoon mangrove pond that houses angels, foxface, pair of clowns, filefish, alot of mollies. This lagoon is doing great. Fish are happy healthy begging for food when they see me like puppies. But the tank right beside it isn’t. Honestly I’ve killed 3 clownfish now in that tank and i cant figure out whats wrong. The clowns were WC big ‘girls’ 3 inches long minimum and some CB 1.5 inch ones. They all die under 3 days except the first ones i got 2 months ago those guys are ok. I feed 3 times a day and the older clowns eat but the big wc ones dont which is normal fresh off the boat. They are not thin so im sure its not the cause of death since its only been like 2-3 days in there before dying. One difference i found was that the lagoons temp is lower than the tank. Im guessing cause its right up close to a cement wall and cement is cooler. Tank is not surrounded by any walls. I just ordered a cooling fan for the tank to drop temp by 5-6F thinking the temp is the reason the fish die since coming from a cool ocean to my tank with warmer water is a big shock. The fish are caught locally and probably in the store for a week or less before i got them and water temp is 79-80F in the store. Im in malaysia so its hot outside. My reef tank indoors needs a chiller. The lagoon outside is fish only with mushrooms so i didnt hook up my other spare chiller but its doing good.

The fish that die do have weird behavior. Erratic swimming like they just got hit on the head. Even on the way back from the lfs the fish were jumping in the bag splashing alot. Not sure if it has anything to do with their death

Parameters
Ammo 0
Nitri 0
Nitrate 10
Po4 haven’t tested
Temp 89-90F(lagoon is 85-86F)
Sal 1.025

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Okay i have a 20g tank divided in the centre for my clownfish breeding project. New fish seem to be dying for no reason but there definitely is a reason which i dont know yet. Swimming happily at 6pm then dead at 9pm. But then theres others in there which are fine. Same tank same water. The tank is kept outdoors beside my lagoon mangrove pond that houses angels, foxface, pair of clowns, filefish, alot of mollies. This lagoon is doing great. Fish are happy healthy begging for food when they see me like puppies. But the tank right beside it isn’t. Honestly I’ve killed 3 clownfish now in that tank and i cant figure out whats wrong. The clowns were WC big ‘girls’ 3 inches long minimum and some CB 1.5 inch ones. They all die under 3 days except the first ones i got 2 months ago those guys are ok. I feed 3 times a day and the older clowns eat but the big wc ones dont which is normal fresh off the boat. They are not thin so im sure its not the cause of death since its only been like 2-3 days in there before dying. One difference i found was that the lagoons temp is lower than the tank. Im guessing cause its right up close to a cement wall and cement is cooler. Tank is not surrounded by any walls. I just ordered a cooling fan for the tank to drop temp by 5-6F thinking the temp is the reason the fish die since coming from a cool ocean to my tank with warmer water is a big shock. The fish are caught locally and probably in the store for a week or less before i got them and water temp is 79-80F in the store. Im in malaysia so its hot outside. My reef tank indoors needs a chiller. The lagoon outside is fish only with mushrooms so i didnt hook up my other spare chiller but its doing good.

The fish that die do have weird behavior. Erratic swimming like they just got hit on the head. Even on the way back from the lfs the fish were jumping in the bag splashing alot. Not sure if it has anything to do with their death

Parameters
Ammo 0
Nitri 0
Nitrate 10
Po4 haven’t tested
Sal 1.025
I would look at the quality of the fish you are getting especially with them being wild caught. Wild caught are most susceptible to disease opposed to tank Raised.
How are you acclimating them and for how long ?
Are temperatures with heat changing throughout the day?
Any signs of aggression from larger fish such as nipped fins?
How are you testing tank ?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the quality of the fish you are getting especially with them being wild caught. Wild caught are most susceptible to disease opposed to tank Raised.
I cant say much about the quality of the fish but the store runs copper in the tanks 24/7. The fish do look good in the store but yes the big 3 inch clowns dont eat food yet probably cause not used to it. The smaller clowns do eat tho. Those are wc as well.

I drip acclimate for 1h. Checking salinity every 15 mins while removing some water from the bucket.

No aggression. No nipped fins. The clowns that die are the big ones. The small ones are 1 inch i dont think the small one could kill the big one so fast? There are 2 clowns per section one big one small. No other big fish in the clown tank.

Im testing with salifert. The same kits i use for my reef tank.

I have to add, last week i bought one 3 inch clown from the same lfs for my lagoon and its doing very well now.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say much about the quality of the fish but the store runs copper in the tanks 24/7. The fish do look good in the store but yes the big 3 inch clowns dont eat food yet probably cause not used to it. The smaller clowns do eat tho. Those are wc as well.

I drip acclimate for 1h. Checking salinity every 15 mins while removing some water from the bucket.

No aggression. No nipped fins. The clowns that die are the big ones. The small ones are 1 inch i dont think the small one could kill the big one so fast? There are 2 clowns per section one big one small. No other big fish in the clown tank.

I have to add, last week i bought one 3 inch clown from the same lfs for my lagoon and its doing very well now.
FWIW personally unless it was some rare type of wild caught clown, captive bred is the way to go for many reasons.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Temp does fluctuate abit. Night time its cool and morning its warmer with slight fluctuation in the evening when some sun hits nearby. Like from 86 it peaks to 89f. Ive not tested the temps at night no not sure the exact temp but i will check tomorrow

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

With rapid deaths, consider quarantining. The reason i suggest this is, if you quarantine and they make it the 4 week period and you transfer to your display and they fall down, It points to something whether fish or water is causing this. Have you done an ICP test on water despite other fish doing well?

Corals.com

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Temp does fluctuate abit. Night time its cool and morning its warmer with slight fluctuation in the evening when some sun hits nearby. Like from 86 it peaks to 89f. Ive not tested the temps at night no not sure the exact temp but i will check tomorrow
86F to 89F?? You sure you dont mean 76 to 79????

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is a great suspect as that is extremely warm and affects oxygen levels

Corals.com
OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. Whats the highest it should go? I read 85F is the warmest it should get? Ive got a cooling fan that will be shipped out tomorrow it should bring temps down to 81-82F. If thats not good enough i will have to do something else. Weird cause my lagoon is constantly at 85-86F for 8 years now no issues with fish or softies.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very high temp for most saltwater fish. As stated above it will greatly reduce the O2 content of the water.
Cooling fan is on its way and will bring temp down to 82-83 i hope this is enough? Its weird because my lagoon is running for 8 years now and temps are 85-86. No issues with fish or softies there.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you’ve mentioned temp and oxygen levels. I just realised, in the afternoon the fish swim near the surface, at night they swim mid level. Night time the water is alot cooler.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Now that you’ve mentioned temp and oxygen levels. I just realised, in the afternoon the fish swim near the surface, at night they swim mid level. Night time the water is alot cooler.
Sure sign

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh my. Whats the highest it should go? I read 85F is the warmest it should get? Ive got a cooling fan that will be shipped out tomorrow it should bring temps down to 81-82F. If thats not good enough i will have to do something else. Weird cause my lagoon is constantly at 85-86F for 8 years now no issues with fish or softies.
81-82
Typical safe range is 77-79

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With rapid deaths, consider quarantining. The reason i suggest this is, if you quarantine and they make it the 4 week period and you transfer to your display and they fall down, It points to something whether fish or water is causing this. Have you done an ICP test on water despite other fish doing well?
No icp test done because over here it cost over 200 cause its those international brands like FM. Not sure if it can be done locally at a lower cost. But yeah 220 bucks unfortunately.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters
Ammo 0
Nitri 0
Nitrate 10
Po4 haven’t tested
Sal 1.025
What species of clownfish are you working with?
Jay

BRS
OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of clownfish are you working with?
Jay
Just normal ocellaris atm. Just for fun really. Theres a local marine breeding group im in and got tempted seeing people hatch their own clowns. Ocellaris are also the cheapest. I had a pair of maroons but gave them away and switched back to occys.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back