Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching my tank today I noticed these spots on Angelfish. Please see the videos attached.

Water quality is great, all fish eating like champs and are super active but my stomach dropped seeing this today. Please any insight would be great. Last fish addition 4 weeks ago and were QT'd from vendor.

Is this something sinister like velvet or less concerning mucus plugs or flukes? @Jay Hemdal [HASH=60110]#fishmedics[/HASH] [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]

IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4434.PNG
IMG_4431.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.45.01 PM.png

Last edited:
AS
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was watching my tank today I noticed these spots on Angelfish. Please see the videos attached.

Water quality is great, all fish eating like champs and are super active but my stomach dropped seeing this today. Please any insight would be great. Last fish addition 4 weeks ago and were QT'd from vendor.

Is this something sinister like velvet or less concerning mucus plugs or flukes? @Jay Hemdal [HASH=60110]#fishmedics[/HASH] [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]

The first video is rapid movement and secong one Fuzzy but I saw one dot and can say that the dot can be sand as they are rough scale or can be Lymphocystis which they are susceptible to. Lympho is viral and with Good water quality and diet will allow it to fall off.
On Diet- Fish looks a hair thin above lateral area and what foods are you feeding ?

At this point keep an eye on the fish. If there is no change in amount of dots the next 24 hours, may be viral. If its gone - was likely sand grain

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not sand. It looks like irritation from something (heavy mucus) - and spots. If you asked me - just based on the pictures - and no symptoms - I would say velvet. I'm wondering how good the QT from various vendors really is. It could be multiple things - including a fish partially immune to oodinium. I'm betting you don't want to hear the recommendation - which would be treat all of your fish with copper. I would strongly suggest - that anyone buying a fish from a 'vendor that quarantines' - find out their protocol - without that it's hard to say - this could also be flukes. Additionally, if all of the fish in your tank were not appropriately QT'd - the fish could have an illness from your old fish. More information is indeed required:)

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not sand. It looks like irritation from something (heavy mucus) - and spots. If you asked me - just based on the pictures - and no symptoms - I would say velvet. I'm wondering how good the QT from various vendors really is. It could be multiple things - including a fish partially immune to oodinium. I'm betting you don't want to hear the recommendation - which would be treat all of your fish with copper. I would strongly suggest - that anyone buying a fish from a 'vendor that quarantines' - find out their protocol - without that it's hard to say - this could also be flukes. Additionally, if all of the fish in your tank were not appropriately QT'd - the fish could have an illness from your old fish. More information is indeed required:)
I’d agree that it looks like velvet. One thing that throws it off is the normal breathing rate though (unless I missed it in the video).

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree that it looks like velvet. One thing that throws it off is the normal breathing rate though (unless I missed it in the video).
Correct - Unless there is partial immunity. My post implied the opposite - you're totally correct - no other symptoms - mitigates against velvet.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @MnFish1 @Sharkbait19

So you think I should pull and treat with copper? I am happy to do so but want to make sure I am taking correct course of action. The vendor offer fully qt'd 4 weeks of copper at 2.5, PraziPro and metro treatments but of course there could have been a breakdown somewhere. I used to QT all fish myself but my partner wouldn't allow QT tanks and it was a constant fight.

I just want to make sure I am taking the proper course of action.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you think I should pull and treat with copper? I am happy to do so but want to make sure I am taking correct course of action. The vendor offer fully qt'd 4 weeks of copper at 2.5, PraziPro and metro treatments but of course there could have been a breakdown somewhere. I used to QT all fish myself but my partner wouldn't allow QT tanks and it was a constant fight.

This may sound like a cop out - but its not - I would suggest you contact the place you bought the fish - ask them what they did exactly - and what they recommend?

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be safe, I would treat with copper. You can start with this fish and see if anyone else starts to show symptoms, but you may have to wind up treating everyone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just seeing this now, I was at work.

If I saw that on any other species than a dark Chaetodontoplus angel, I'd say ich - see how the spots extend into the fins? Mucus plugs don't do that. The spots are also too large to be velvet. However, these angels show every little bump so clearly due to their fine scales and dark coloration....

I wouldn't jump into any treatment quite yet - if it is ich or flukes, moving just this fish out won't solve the problem with the rest of them. If it is just an idiosyncratic issue, then rushing to treat could cause other problems.

How long have you had this angel?
How long do you think it took for these spots to develop?

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just seeing this now, I was at work.

If I saw that on any other species than a dark Chaetodontoplus angel, I'd say ich - see how the spots extend into the fins? Mucus plugs don't do that. The spots are also too large to be velvet. However, these angels show every little bump so clearly due to their fine scales and dark coloration....

I wouldn't jump into any treatment quite yet - if it is ich or flukes, moving just this fish out won't solve the problem with the rest of them. If it is just an idiosyncratic issue, then rushing to treat could cause other problems.

How long have you had this angel?
How long do you think it took for these spots to develop?

Jay
I've had the angel for 5 years now. I hadn't noticed them but been super busy at work. I feel like it transpired over the last 3-5 days if I'd take my best guess. I recently added fish over the last 10 weeks, last addition 4 weeks ago approx.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a FWD.

Nothing came off in the water that I could see like oblique sesame seeds.

What's also strange is the spots aren't raised but you can only really see them good from certain angles and other angles you can't really see it.

Here is a video.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a FWD.

Nothing came off in the water that I could see like oblique sesame seeds.

What's also strange is the spots aren't raised but you can only really see them good from certain angles and other angles you can't really see it.

Here is a video.

Only Neobenedenia flukes will show up in a dip. The other species are too small, you need a microscope, and then, they just look like tiny balls of mucus.

Was this video right after the FWQ dip? I'm still seeing slightly elevated respiration. What is the water temp?

Jay

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Neobenedenia flukes will show up in a dip. The other species are too small, you need a microscope, and then, they just look like tiny balls of mucus.

Was this video right after the FWQ dip? I'm still seeing slightly elevated respiration. What is the water temp?

Jay
Yes the video was directly after. the water temp is 79-80 degrees

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At this point, I think you have to approach treatment as if ALL fish in the tank are infected. Also, going fallow in your DT is part of the solution.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back