what invert for species only 5 gallon? Sexy shrimp?

BRS

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about setting the old Evo 5 back up (got rid of the old pump but found a weird alternative haha) and doing invert only/species only. My first thought is sexy shrimp though they are pretty rare locally and my preferred LFS says they can rarely order them. What other options might there be?

Corals.com

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the really small stuff is going to be rarer, but there are some good options. A masked goby, sharknose/neon goby, twinspot blenny, and a few other small goby species could be a good choice if you want fish. For inverts, a lot of those smaller ones will work, and sexy shrimp are a good choice, but other small cleaners like pederson cleaners would be good too. Then there are pom pom crabs and things, and if you want to add a bit of filter feeder food, porcelain crabs of a couple of different colors. A smaller pistol shrimp could be cool, too, but I wouldn't keep one if you want other small shrimp.

Worth mentioning that most of those, especially in a small tank, are a jump risk - all it takes is a spook. So I'd also look for some kind of covering (and if using netting, use 1/8" rather than 1/4" as things do fit through 1/4")

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Bulk Reef Supply
Back