Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions 1 my hammer corals base is like bloated and looks like swollen but it’s open and happy and all solid? That’s pic 1

question 2 I had a coral on this super glue but moved it is this coralline algae growing? Don’t Ming the gha I am working on it haha.

tank is almost 7 months old and sps is growing and nem is growing etc

A6C8EE5F-A458-40F1-A072-FAF56802DFBC.jpeg AE195064-6A14-4E12-99F7-36DBDC87FED1.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cichlid23

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the hammer it almost looks like a sponge it starting to grow around the base, I could be wrong however, maybe try messing with the lights to get some better pictures. And for the second picture that looks like coralline algae.

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the hammer it almost looks like a sponge it starting to grow around the base, I could be wrong however, maybe try messing with the lights to get some better pictures. And for the second picture that looks like coralline algae.
I agree. It looks like a sponge. I have a similar sponge (size of a quarter but thick/puffy) growing on the underside of a large favia war coral.

2nd pic, the pinkish purple patch is def coralline.

Nutramar Foods

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not that familiar with sponges and their negatives but that sponge is a little too close for comfort, its right on the skeleton/flesh edge. It could irritate or smother your hammer as it grows. If it were my hammer, I would take a surgical scalpel and cut away the sponge outside the tank in a container filled with tank water, then give it a quick rinse in tank water in a separate container then plop the hammer back in the tank and hope it doesn't grow back in the same spot.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back