What direction do I point my powerheads?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's meant to be open with a deflector. I have numerous fish and inverts in the tank, including a small 6 line wrasse, and haven't had any issues. The opening is more or less covered by the deflector. I don't have any nems in the tank, but can see your concern.
Thanks for confirming this. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a small tank, pointing the power head at the surface will provide needed oxygenation while giving sufficient movement at the bottom of the tank.
Great, thank you so much! I'm going to adjust it now. :)

Dad2Wyatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a small tank, pointing the power head at the surface will provide needed oxygenation while giving sufficient movement at the bottom of the tank.
What about in a 55? I have mine on the sides pointed to the front glass, angled toward the surface. I seem to have pretty decent flow but I feel like it may create “hotspots” in certain areas but it’s hard to tell!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a great idea! I have the Nero 5 and run it pretty low and it's been running 6 months without a cleaning yet lol. I can only speak to my time with it. I do like the controlability of it though. And it's very compact
Nice!! I'm definitely going to contact them for more details. I hate thinking I have to use some inferior pump instead of a proper powerhead simply because I have a 5g. I will... not... compromise!! LOL :)

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I'm definitely going to contact them for more details. I hate thinking I have to use some inferior pump instead of a proper powerhead simply because I have a 5g. I will... not... compromise!! LOL :)
A Nero 3 is 2000 GPH. You don’t need that in a 5 gallons, it’s way too much and you’ll have to turn it down pretty much all the way. A good quality nano pump would be enough IMO.

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about in a 55? I have mine on the sides pointed to the front glass, angled toward the surface. I seem to have pretty decent flow but I feel like it may create “hotspots” in certain areas but it’s hard to tell!
In a 55 I would certainly have more than 1 powerhead aimed at the surface.

Depending how large it is, I would have 1 or 2 more.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Nero 3 is 2000 GPH. You don’t need that in a 5 gallons, it’s way too much and you’ll have to turn it down pretty much all the way. A good quality nano pump would be enough IMO.
I'm still searching. Haha. I guess it's time to build my own. LOL

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still searching. Haha. I guess it's time to build my own. LOL
Look at the koralia nano. I think it’s 260 GPH or something. Still a lot but aimed at the surface it should be okay. That’s what I used fora while in my 12 gallons.

Not expensive and good quality.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your particular application I would consider aimed at front or back wall but also toward surface. It won't blast corals if dialed right down this way ( although I am not familiar with your brand of pump), but will create some surface turbulence as well, and flow throughout...

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to contact them and I want to know if constantly running it that low is OK. You'd think so if it's DC but who knows. I think the Jebao SOW3 can be dialed back to 130gph but the SOW line is fairly new so I haven't found anything on running it this low.
FWIW I have 2 SOW 4, for almost a year, and I dial them back to nothing for almost a day, when feeding phyto etc every few days, no ill effects thusfar....

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have 2 SOW 4, for almost a year, and I dial them back to nothing for almost a day, when feeding phyto etc every few days, no ill effects thusfar....
Nice! Thanks! I was looking at the sow-3 or sw2 both go down to about 130gph but they would have to be that way fulltime. I saw coral box has an aqualink controller that can control dc pumps in 1% increments and it works with a bunch of pumps. Not sure it would help slow it down further or whether 1% would still be 130gph and increment from there.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the koralia nano. I think it’s 260 GPH or something. Still a lot but aimed at the surface it should be okay. That’s what I used fora while in my 12 gallons.

Not expensive and good quality.
Thanks! I'm making a note of all of these. I've looked at so many my brain has turned to mush. Between powerheads and lights I'm about to implode. Haha

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back