What direction do I point my powerheads?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

This seems like such a newbie question but I can't find any threads with suggestions (maybe my search parameters are wrong).

Anyway, I have a 5g and recently installed one powerhead on the long side of my tank. It's mounted just below the surface but I have it pointed down at my corals (two soft corals). Do I point the head down or up to ripple under the surface? I'm thinking of getting a second one for the other side for some cross flow so maybe point it down while the first is pointed up? The way it's pointed now the surface isn't breaking.

AS
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of corals are you trying to keep? I would avoid trying to place another powerhead in there, 2 powerheads (plus heater, skimmer, etc...) will take up a lot of space in that 5 gallon
Thanks for your reply! Actually it's an AIO (should've mentioned that) so the only thing in the tank is the powerhead. I only plan to keep softies. Right now there is a gorg and a xenia. I was thinking maybe a Mini maxi or rockflower nem but not for quite awhile. The tank is about 6 months wet. I attached a pic. Try not to notice the pantyhose. I'm trying to find an elegant way to reduce the flow but the pantyhose are restricting it to much but mesh fabric doesn't restrict it enough. Grrr. Someone needs to make powerheads for small nano and pico tanks. Haha. I just have the feeling I don't have it place correctly.

Attachments

• 20220104_122813_compress63.jpg
    20220104_122813_compress63.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 84

Little c big D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! That would help. I posted one above. Let me know if you need different angles.
Have you looked into a Nero 3? They can be throttled way down. Not sure their minimum flow however. They are pretty affordable and controllable

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! Some corals won't like being directly blasted.
Ya, I should've posted a pic. Doh. I attached one above. I'm struggling with two things right now. Restricting the flow on this powerhead because it's too much for the 5g and finding the correct placement. I've been trying various wraps to restrict the the flow but I think I'm off on the placement.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a Nero 3? They can be throttled way down. Not sure their minimum flow however. They are pretty affordable and controllable
I have not even heard of this one so thanks!! I have been looking for months and months. Ecotech, Coral Box, Jebao, etc., etc. So frustrated. The one I have is a Sicce Nano steady stream at about 250gph and that's too much.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not even heard of this one so thanks!! I have been looking for months and months. Ecotech, Coral Box, Jebao, etc., etc. So frustrated. The one I have is a Sicce Nano steady stream at about 250gph and that's too much.
i liked my sicce nano for my 14g

Little c big D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the Nero 3 goes up to 2k gph... but I'm almost positive is can be turned down as low as 100gph... I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I should've posted a pic. Doh. I attached one above. I'm struggling with two things right now. Restricting the flow on this powerhead because it's too much for the 5g and finding the correct placement. I've been trying various wraps to restrict the the flow but I think I'm off on the placement.
I just looked at the Nero and I have seen that one. I think at its lowest it's still too much. Ironically Marineland makes this nifty little convertible one (MaxiJet Pro series). The smallest one would be perfect at about 110gph and the powerhead configuration is supposed to be for reef tanks. A genius design then they go and make the mounting system suction cups. Doh! I emailed them about this explaining a powerhead falling on a coral because the suction cups fail means certain death. I asked if they could change to magnets. LOL. Are there magnets that can be attached with sticky tape?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Little c big D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the Nero and I have seen that one. I think at its lowest it's still too much. Ironically Marineland makes this nifty little convertible one (MaxiJet Pro series). The smallest one would be perfect at about 110gph and the powerhead configuration is supposed to be for reef tanks. A genius design then they go and make the mounting system suction cups. Doh! I emailed them about this explaining a powerhead falling on a coral because the suction cups fail means certain death. I asked if they could change to magnets. LOL. Are there magnets that can be attached with sticky tape?
You would still be relying on adhesion lol. I don't know that if it was running that it would fall off easily though

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i liked my sicce nano for my 14g
Ya, it is a fabulous powerhead (I have the 1000) and I first tried it in my 15g freshwater just to get a sense of the power and it was great then I put it in my 5g and wow! I'm surprised my fish survived the tsunami. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would still be relying on adhesion lol. I don't know that if it was running that it would fall off easily though
Good point! LOL. Given the prevalence of small nanos and picos there is money to be made in this part of the market! Anything 10g and under needs one that can be dialed from 50gph to 150gph. 200gph max. :)

jassermd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try this for the nano and other smaller tanks... I have 2 on my 40breeder and they work great. Can be throttled down quite a bit.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the Nero 3 goes up to 2k gph... but I'm almost positive is can be turned down as low as 100gph... I could be wrong.
I'm going to contact them and I want to know if constantly running it that low is OK. You'd think so if it's DC but who knows. I think the Jebao SOW3 can be dialed back to 130gph but the SOW line is fairly new so I haven't found anything on running it this low.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try this for the nano and other smaller tanks... I have 2 on my 40breeder and they work great. Can be throttled down quite a bit.
Thanks!! Actually I just came across this last night and thought it was perfect but does it come with a guard over the propeller or is it meant to be open that way? I kept searching for videos and info on it and it looks like it's meant to be open. Seems weird for fish and wandering nems. Have you seen more info on this?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Little c big D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to contact them and I want to know if constantly running it that low is OK. You'd think so if it's DC but who knows. I think the Jebao SOW3 can be dialed back to 130gph but the SOW line is fairly new so I haven't found anything on running it this low.
that's a great idea! I have the Nero 5 and run it pretty low and it's been running 6 months without a cleaning yet lol. I can only speak to my time with it. I do like the controlability of it though. And it's very compact

jassermd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Actually I just came across this last night and thought it was perfect but does it come with a guard over the propeller or is it meant to be open that way? I kept searching for videos and info on it and it looks like it's meant to be open. Seems weird for fish and wandering nems. Have you seen more info on this?
It's meant to be open with a deflector. I have numerous fish and inverts in the tank, including a small 6 line wrasse, and haven't had any issues. The opening is more or less covered by the deflector. I don't have any nems in the tank, but can see your concern.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back