Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my new clownfish wants to be hosted by my trachy. The trachy doesn’t seemed bothered so should I leave them alone and let that be their home?

If not: what corals can host clownfish without getting irritated and dying? I only have a 20g so I don’t think I’ll get a nem.

5621A983-DC08-41B8-92A4-73B7B334AF3D.jpeg 15171BB7-C07D-481C-8B7D-3B1EF8502E3C.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh it's not something I'd strive for. My clowns are hosted by a bunch of nems. The only outcome is that I never see them. Unless of course when my hands are in the tank and they turn into piranha. I need protective gear now.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh it's not something I'd strive for. My clowns are hosted by a bunch of nems. The only outcome is that I never see them. Unless of course when my hands are in the tank and they turn into piranha. I need protective gear now.
Honestly this coral is my favourite so if it hosts them and they are all happy, best case scenario. I just don’t want the coral to get smothered to death lol. So far no damage though

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^^^ There was a posting a few years ago where the clowns had become so protective of their territory, that one of the clowns jumped out and bit the guy "on his eyeball" as he was leaning over the tank doing maintenance. Yikes! Protective goggles? LOL

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t want the coral to die but thankfully it isn’t annoyed so far
It'll tell you when it's unhappy. Until then I'd just enjoy the view! To your question though, clownfish are low key kinda dumb for a saltwater fish. Anything a little wavy and they will often shout "it's an anemone" from the rooftops. Other times, they'll decide to host a scoly or a powerhead or an overflow box, and there is NO stopping them unless you take them out and sump them for a prolonged period of time and even that doesn't always work. They will be hosted by more and more things over time usually which is cool but the downside is what the others have said. More territory they defend. Once they're being hosted you really start to see how they're damsels

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll tell you when it's unhappy. Until then I'd just enjoy the view! To your question though, clownfish are low key kinda dumb for a saltwater fish. Anything a little wavy and they will often shout "it's an anemone" from the rooftops. Other times, they'll decide to host a scoly or a powerhead or an overflow box, and there is NO stopping them unless you take them out and sump them for a prolonged period of time and even that doesn't always work. They will be hosted by more and more things over time usually which is cool but the downside is what the others have said. More territory they defend. Once they're being hosted you really start to see how they're damsels
Looks like I will be hoping it remains happy then haha. Thanks for the insight!

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will be hoping it remains happy then haha. Thanks for the insight!
And just to be clear even though it's a crap shoot, your best bets are wavy corals like euphyllia and hairy mushrooms or nems like long tentacles, bubble tips etc but don't hold your breath lol

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just to be clear even though it's a crap shoot, your best bets are wavy corals like euphyllia and hairy mushrooms or nems like long tentacles, bubble tips etc but don't hold your breath lol
I have a torch and two hammers but looks like they prefer the trachy haha

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back