What coral are you excited about potentially adding this year?

BRS

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have that one coral that has lately caught their eye, whether as a future planned acquisition or a photo that made you look twice and wonder how you can incorporate that coral into your ecosystem.

For me, I want to attempt a classic easy acro once my mixed reef starts taking off - Garf Bonsai or Oregon Tort. What's yours? Feel free to include a pic if you'd like and share why.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely looking to add more SPS. The tank just passed its 3rd birthday and is pretty stable. I have a few easier SPS that are doing well: stylophora, monti cap, and green slimer. I'm thinking about trying a tort or a milli. I love the shaggy SPS.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely looking to add more SPS. The tank just passed its 3rd birthday and is pretty stable. I have a few easier SPS that are doing well: stylophora, monti cap, and green slimer. I'm thinking about telling trying a tort or a milli. I love the shaggy SPS.
Agree. For sure one day I will have some hairy milli colonies

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooohh you’ve got my vote for the garf! One of my all time favorites. I’m on a mushroom kick right now and I can’t explain it. Looking for all the funky colors and textures this year!
Shrooms are cool!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

E.J.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is soft coral dominated with a few lps and hardy sps mixed in. The leathers and cespitularia are quite big, ranging from 18 - 20", but there is a lot of real estate left to be filled in with low lying coral, and some verticality as my rockscape is minimal and barely goes past the 1/3 of the tank's height. So, I'm thinking some palys, mushrooms, and rock anemones to for the low lying coral, and some gorgonians for some tall shapes.

I've been reefing since 1999, and have tried almost everything, but at this stage I'm drawn to movement and texture, and would like to see just how colorful I can make a soft coral dominated reef.

AS
OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is soft coral dominated with a few lps and hardy sps mixed in. The leathers and cespitularia are quite big, ranging from 18 - 20", but there is a lot of real estate left to be filled in with low lying coral, and some verticality as my rockscape is minimal and barely goes past the 1/3 of the tank's height. So, I'm thinking some palys, mushrooms, and rock anemones to for the low lying coral, and some gorgonians for some tall shapes.

I've been reefing since 1999, and have tried almost everything, but at this stage I'm drawn to movement and texture, and would like to see just how colorful I can make a soft coral dominated reef.
Love it. Gorgonians are criminally underrated, and usually cheap as chips to boot.

design.maddie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on learning about all the sticks. I have a really good grasp of Montipora but near 0 for any millies or acros. I purchased one of those Tunze Wall Rocks, should be in any day now. I want to cover it with sticks. I will have it in an area that should be around +250PAR. Now that I think about it, I don't even know enough to know what is out there. Fun and exciting times 2022 will be a very good year.

jpark457

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low light encrusters. I'm having success with a cyphastrea and been looking at chalice's.
That’s awesome! I’m in the same boat but my success is w a Hollywood stunner chalice and was looking to try cyphastrea, may be a birds nest if that goes well. The chalice so far has been at least as easy to care for as my soft corals, doubled in size over a little less than 6 months

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I’m in the same boat but my success is w a Hollywood stunner chalice and was looking to try cyphastrea, may be a birds nest if that goes well. The chalice so far has been at least as easy to care for as my soft corals, doubled in size over a little less than 6 months
I got a meteor shower cyphastrea, I put it on a rock on the bottom where my mushrooms didn't cover and it has done well over growing the original frag. It is wimpy though, I have to kill mushrooms that touch it, but it still grows back. I even ticked it off with a shot of vinegar when I was dealing with the shrooms, though I was going to lose much of the frag, grew back pretty quick.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try acros so my clown goby has a place to hang out. He's been trying to get snugly with my Corky Sea Finger gorg but it's not working out so well. LOL. Having said that I don't know if I'm attempting a "run before I can walk" manoeuvre. :)

loganzielke

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral but this anemone, it comes Tuesday and I can’t wait :)

66AC7DD6-E044-4D9D-81DA-823A262C55A2.jpeg

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have that one coral that has lately caught their eye, whether as a future planned acquisition or a photo that made you look twice and wonder how you can incorporate that coral into your ecosystem.

For me, I want to attempt a classic easy acro once my mixed reef starts taking off - Garf Bonsai or Oregon Tort. What's yours? Feel free to include a pic if you'd like and share why.
I love my Oregon Tort, grows very slow but am always blown away by the blue.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I am more of a bargain bin shopper but just bought this one because I was blown away by it.
View attachment 2536692
On aquasd? I saw that the other day! That thing is wild. Hope it does well for you. It's a true rainbow

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back