+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update/pictures on this?
Honestly never found answers and then had an explosion/infestation of them after accidentally freeing some of the eggs, theres one or two still now that i spot occasionally. I forgot to send myself the updated pics of them “crawling” around the breeder box

never seemed to harm anything other than have a population boom.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would reach out to some local marine biology institutions and see if someone can't help you ID it or find someone who can ID it, as this is a very interesting creature you've got, and, personally, I would love to find out what they are.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would reach out to some local marine biology institutions and see if someone can't help you ID it or find someone who can ID it, as this is a very interesting creature you've got, and, personally, I would love to find out what they are.
Thats my plan at this point honestly, I just want answers and Im surprised that this forum couldnt ID them with all the experience here lol

Nutramar Foods

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is a tunicate know as a sea squirt.

Someone mentioned marine biology. Which triggered a memory from 15 years ago. My wife's previous boss was a marine biologist. We took pictures of something similar that we observed on a beach vacation. The marine biologist definitively said, "sea squirts"

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is a tunicate know as a sea squirt.

Someone mentioned marine biology. Which triggered a memory from 15 years ago. My wife's previous boss was a marine biologist. We took pictures of something similar that we observed on a beach vacation. The marine biologist definitively said, "sea squirts"
I think that’s probably what it is but it looks so different from pics i can find haha

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Squirt is a term used generically for all tunicates (also called ascidians). It’s a good guess, and I know there are a few black tunicates (I’m not familiar with any that I think could be this creature though), but the “nest” of eggs/larvae/juveniles/buds displayed is quite interesting to me.

OP, if you find out what it is for sure (especially if down to the genus/species level), please let us know - they’re quite unique little specimens, and I’d love to learn more about them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Squirt is a term used generically for all tunicates (also called ascidians). It’s a good guess, and I know there are a few black tunicates (I’m not familiar with any that I think could be this creature though), but the “nest” of eggs/larvae/juveniles/buds displayed is quite interesting to me.

OP, if you find out what it is for sure (especially if down to the genus/species level), please let us know - they’re quite unique little specimens, and I’d love to learn more about them.
I will definitely update if i figure it out!!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back