What are the actual observed drawbacks of long-term GFO use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: GFO seems to remove PO4 much faster in a tank with coraline-covered rock than in a tank without coralline-covered rock.

I'd certainly expect that. Bare calcium carbonate surface bind a lot of phosphate that makes it much slower to drop (or raise) the water levels of phosphate. in a bare rock tank, that might include far, far more than is in the water. maybe up to 50 ppm on the rocks for only 0.2 ppm in the water.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't use algae filters, do your corals keep your Nitrate in check or do you use another Nitrate-removal method?

My skimmer keeps nitrates in check. Once the corals are colonies there is more of an N03 uptake, but I believe in a form of the ammonium before it goes through the nitrogen cycle. The skimmer will take up nitrate laden bacteria and oraganic detritus, food particles,ect. before they break down.

Last edited:

JayinToronto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different macroalge can have different uptake ratios, as noted above, and the ratio can depend on the water levels of N and P. I do not have data for red ogo (GRACILARIA PARVISPORA).

Here's a pdf with a bunch (same article as above). Look at table 2. It shows what you are asking about, with caulerpa much higher in N relative to P compared to other macroalgae they tested.

Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back