What am I doing wrong that makes all this stuff form in my AIO filtration section of my tank? (Causes Return Pump to burn out)

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon Nuvo. It is a mightyjet return pump.

IMG_20230412_062003941.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what it is. But I think it is the culprit for causing my propeller to get jammed (E5 error on my mightyjet). I took the return pump out and scrubbed it and after a few start ups it decided to turn on. This morning it E5'd again so I just put in a spare pump I had.

Do I need to block it off from light? Is that coralline algae trying to form? Is my Calcium too high? (500 ppm with Hannah tester) Or do I just need to pay attention sooner and scrub that back area while doing a water change?

I'm not entirely sure what to do here and I am not sure if I can prevent this from happening and is some noob mistake or this is just how it is in the hobby?

Tank has been running since February.

BRS

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell what we are looking at.
what else is in your AIO chambers?
do you have any mechanical filtration?
is that how the back looks when it’s running?
Are you running the pump dry at times?

The error out kinda makes me think you have a dying pump and it’s shorting out.
Are you dosing?
I haven’t dealt with this before but it looks like you have a calcium precipation? It’s like all formed over the heater and probably the pump which is why it’s getting jammed

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I dose the 2 part b ionic.

25 mL of CA in the AM and 25 mL of Alk in the PM..

I use filter floss in both over flows for my "mechanical"
Ya it looks like that when it is running. I have a skimmer in the AIO chamber and the Tunze ATO which isn't really in the chamber but you get the idea.

I have never run the pump dry.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I dose the 2 part b ionic.

25 mL of CA in the AM and 25 mL of Alk in the PM..

I use filter floss in both over flows for my "mechanical"
Ya it looks like that when it is running. I have a skimmer in the AIO chamber and the Tunze ATO which isn't really in the chamber but you get the idea.

I have never run the pump dry.
Can you dose smaller amounts at one time? You may be precipitating when you dose the alk. Should be dosed in a high flow area and dripped in.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you dose smaller amounts at one time? You may be precipitating when you dose the alk. Should be dosed in a high flow area and dripped in.
Initially I just dumped all 25 mL in the powerhead in the tank but noticed how it was ticking corals off.

Now it takes me 10-20 seconds as I slowly pour it in a high flow area.

Fun story. I came to work with dying fish in the work tank cause the LTA killed himself and had to do a MASSIVE water change to try and save the fish. Boss is running to the store to get some carbon. WHAT A DAY!

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing all at once? And into the return chamber?

Just cause I am not sure what you mean. I dose all 25 mL of calcium in the AM and 25 mL in the PM into the display tank where the return nozzle creates flow and turbulence and water agitation. I was dumping it in all at once every morning and night but I started doing it slower so it dissolves betters.

World Wide Corals

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cause I am not sure what you mean. I dose all 25 mL of calcium in the AM and 25 mL in the PM into the display tank where the return nozzle creates flow and turbulence and water agitation. I was dumping it in all at once every morning and night but I started doing it slower so it dissolves betters.
Ok i thought you were dosing in the chambers. Yeah just break up your dosing through out the day.

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party as usual. You can try to vinegar bath the pump it may work, just check and make sure the "well" where the impeller goes and the impeller itself are not all chewed up. You can turn a water bottle into a slow drip tool with some airline and a air valve. Make two of these one for each fluid and adjust the valve to drip the contents over the coarse of a couple hrs one in the morning and one at night. Thats the cheap way or get dosing pumps.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that particular product but every tank is different and I always dose at half the recommendation and adjust from there. I have an IM SR80 and I don't have that issue however in my reefer 625 I do see "blocks" of nutrients occasionally in the return pump area where my dosing tubes are. Maybe try dropping a small pump into the chamber to keep it stirred up. Just let it run all the time. I had a problem with slime buildup in the chambers. The little pump took care of it.

CLICK TO VIEW

ptrusk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awful lot of Esv. I dose 17 ml/day in a 90 gallon, 7 ml/day in a 40 and 2 ml/day in a 15 gallon. You need to determine alkalinity consumption and adjust your dose accordingly.

Just guessing you probably only need 3-4 ml/day.

Soak the pump in vinegar or citric acid.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk you mean?

Also can I try and save the return pump by doing a vinegar bath or does the precipitation kill it for good?
Yes, the alk.
As far as vinagar, it is not so good for cleaning pumps. It can degrade plastic and get to magnets and they will start to rust. Citric acid is better if you can get some.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using
That is an awful lot of Esv. I dose 17 ml/day in a 90 gallon, 7 ml/day in a 40 and 2 ml/day in a 15 gallon. You need to determine alkalinity consumption and adjust your dose accordingly.

Just guessing you probably only need 3-4 ml/day.

Soak the pump in vinegar or citric acid.
My Salifert shows 9.6 alk (Don't have a hannah test yet for that)

I need to pick up another test cause the numbers on the syringe have faded.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ptrusk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are currently adding over 2 DkH per day. That is a lot. Most of it is precipitating.

Your water chemistry is likely pretty messed up now as well. Do a few water changes and monitor Alkalinity consumption. Use this calculator as a start

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back