+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zendaya Coleman Ew GIF
They clean everything... It's like having a Roomba!

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to actually rip all the detritus out or just have nice white sand?
If I stir my sand, it's pretty dirty, but on the surface, it's pristine.
Have a clean sand bed, and remove the waste, I have a lot

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

JBR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since sand sifting gobies are often starved and seem a bit unethical now. I use nassarius, sand sifting stars, and a conch.

I’m also starting to suspect engineer gobies do this too without the con of them being difficult sand sifters. Just have to be prepared for a couple feet of grumpiness.
Engineer gobies are so cool, I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone unless they have base rocks that are sitting on the glass because they will move your sand around like crazy lol

ShadowMan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since sand sifting gobies are often starved and seem a bit unethical now.
Either I've got a filthy sandbed or I just clearly feed mine too well.... I've had it for a couple of years now and the diamond goby is actually the biggest fish in my tank at the moment :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either I've got a filthy sandbed or I just clearly feed mine too well.... I've had it for a couple of years now and the diamond goby is actually the biggest fish in my tank at the moment :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
It’s mostly that they die from not being fed through shipping and then not getting enough in tanks. The problem is they struggle to eat large things like brine and mysis shrimp as they filter out large particles in their gills. Once you get one settled and eating they’re good but the first few months can be hit or miss. I find sinking pellets works well for them as they’ll dissolve them in the mouth. A good pod population also works.

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most debris for me is from fish poop.
Sits on top of sandbed, you can use turkey baster to blow towards filters before cleaning filters, after an hour or two, blast your rocks also, you will be surprised by the amount on them :)
balsted my rocks recently and I was like "woah pal" I decided I will blast them before my next water change

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Critters! Wrasses, engineer gobies, nassarius snails, cucumbers, conchs, a gaggle of hermits, etc. I also vacuum small sections as I do WC's each week and turn others to get stuff in the water column. I also run my pumps on export mode at night.

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys !

I’ve been looking for good tips and effective way of cleaning my sand bed, I’ve so many people that has a lot of livestock and still has a nice and clean sand bed ! I found it so hard to actually vacuum everything without taking the sand and some stuff are too heavy to get through the syphon …

so what’s your best tips and experience for a clean sand bed?
Turkey baster once a week. Turns over the top 1/2 inch of my sugar sand and gets the detritus into the water column.

The corals love it, and the Reefmat and skimmer pull out a lot of junk.

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Critters! Wrasses, engineer gobies, nassarius snails, cucumbers, conchs, a gaggle of hermits, etc. I also vacuum small sections as I do WC's each week and turn others to get stuff in the water column. I also run my pumps on export mode at night.
Great tips ! Thanks

Nutramar Foods

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir the sandbed daily, or at least every other day.

I also put a sock in my sump, start a siphon with a 1/2" vinyl hose, put other end in the sock, and suck out the top layer of sand where all the junk is.

I then put that sand into a bucket with bleach for a couple days. Rinse in RO/DI, leave in bucket of RO/DI with a bit of prime. Let air dry after a few days, add back into the tank at a later date.

Dosing live phyto helps to out compete some of the stuff that likes to grow on your sandbed too.
I siphon mine similarly but just clean sand in tank water, filter water with 10 micron socks and return water and sand to tank. Started doing this when I had dinos and continue now with other algae on sand bed. If my nutrients weren't low I'd dump the water and add fresh. Curious why you want to bleach your sand. Seems counterproductive to building diversity?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diversity is in the rocks, waste and a few pods and worms are in the bed, mostly waste by a large margin.

the worms that track down through the cross section are bioload within the tank, neat to look at but also eject waste pellets out of one end and contribute to the overall waste loading. they don't help the sandbed avoid taking on waste, they contribute to waste stores

a few bugs crawling on top are going to be lost in cleaning, but they'd be eaten by a fish too eventually and will just repopulate off communities from the live rock over and over. neutralizing sandbeds isn't harmful in reefing, it has a net benefit vs harm/big sand works threads show.

stick stirring works great too:

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon mine similarly but just clean sand in tank water, filter water with 10 micron socks and return water and sand to tank. Started doing this when I had dinos and continue now with other algae on sand bed. If my nutrients weren't low I'd dump the water and add fresh. Curious why you want to bleach your sand. Seems counterproductive to building diversity?
In a young tank, sure, rinse and throw back. In my very mature tank, I'm not loosing any biodiversity.

I bleach it to kill anything, same reason I bleach my filter socks. Kill any bacteria, and make it nice and white again.

BRS
OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diversity is in the rocks, waste and a few pods and worms are in the bed, mostly waste by a large margin.

the worms that track down through the cross section are bioload within the tank, neat to look at but also eject waste pellets out of one end and contribute to the overall waste loading. they don't help the sandbed avoid taking on waste, they contribute to waste stores

a few bugs crawling on top are going to be lost in cleaning, but they'd be eaten by a fish too eventually and will just repopulate off communities from the live rock over and over. neutralizing sandbeds isn't harmful in reefing, it has a net benefit vs harm/big sand works threads show.

stick stirring works great too:
Appreciate your tip

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a young tank, sure, rinse and throw back. In my very mature tank, I'm not loosing any biodiversity.

I bleach it to kill anything, same reason I bleach my filter socks. Kill any bacteria, and make it nice and white again.
How long has your tank running for ?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back