Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should start with saying THANK YOU, reef2reef users, this forum is most vast wealth of knowledge on everything reefing. I've been in the freshwater side of things for about 4 years now, (say hello to my discus pair, they spawn like regularly but always eat the eggs) tempImageLXraj6.jpg

and have acquired several tanks now, a 12g fluval edge is one to note. Corals have captivated me and my interest in keeping a reef. This whole build started with being inspired by several posts on this forum which people converted the well designed fluval edge 12 gallon aquarium into beautiful nano reefs. The top down viewing being the real attraction. I wanted to emulated these amazing builds. so I started by modifying the plastic stand to have an acrylic overflow box with 3- 1" bulkheads. Once this was complete I began to move my focus on a stand to house an old 20 gallon tall to be used as a sump. Years prior I had made an epoxy table top that had dark oak in the shape of Michigan. I never had a good spot for it, until now. I picked up 3/4" plywood with a high rating, it was expensive but also the best sheets of ply I have ever seen and still much cheaper than buying a self assemble particle board stand for hundreds of dollars. After a few weeks it was done

tempImager6nHRc.jpgtempImageazGk5q.jpg tempImagesX4dND.jpg

but there was a problem. I put the fluval edge on top of the stand it hit me immediately, the display is way too small for this stand. I was conscious of this potential problem during the build but seeing it all together really hit me that this would not work visually. So I decided to change the whole plan and add a second nano to the system. This decision was made just as I began to plumb so I was able to still change this system. The UNS 60S. (24"x14x7) it's a shallow tank that i felt would contrast well with the edge and fill out the empty space on the top. The tank arrived and I immediately drilled 2 drains as I had been practicing on a junk piece of glass. Problem again, I was too excited on the 2nd cut and must have applied pressure towards the end of the cut and chipped a piece out all the way too the edge of the aquarium. I was quick to remember that this section would be closed off to the eye by the weir, so after installing the bulkheads I decided to repair the bad cut with epoxy which will bond to glass and cure rock hard.
so this overflow is messy but functional. Now I was ready to begin the painful process of learning plumbing. Although I am handy in most trades, I had very little experience with plumbing and this was the most frustrating part of the build. I must have been to the store a dozen times and even had to order several parts online. while I waited for the parts I converted a 20 gallon tall into a 4 chamber square style sump.

tempImageJ1jNAS.jpg

Now I had a stand with drains and a sump. The Bubble Magus roller mat has been modified to take a second drain. a 90 degree street elbow fitting was the perfect size. this sits on a stand in the first chamber, then skimmer Bubble magus curve 5, then fuge, then return.

tempImage1PUEUa.jpgtempImage8koedD.jpg
The is the top the Fluval edge. heavily customized but this model actually had to be scrapped later on as the overflow box was leaking and i couldnt seal it after several attempts.
tempImageH6HALu.jpg
So I made a new one with better materials
tempImagesKNTKJ.jpgtempImagelkK6fE.jpgtempImages67Jea.jpg
So now I am very close to adding rock and water just setting up the equipment in the sump and programing the apex.
tempImagenjdkJR.jpgtempImagewpQmkO.jpg
I still need a lighting solution for both tanks and wave makers for both, suggestions would be appreciated but im leaning toward kessil a160's.

Ill be back with more updates and pictures! please ask questions and be critical!
Thanks everyone, God bless! tempImageZbxHg0.jpg

Zach B

North American Noo-Psyche Sales Representative
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) Looks like you're off to a good start! Best of luck

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.
Thank you!! I have more updates and pictures coming later today but for now its world cup time. stay tuned! (Todays Incoming shipments: Dry rock, kessils, apex noob problems lol)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) Looks like you're off to a good start! Best of luck
It’s been a massive puzzle but I’m piecing it together with your guys’ help! I’ll have lots of questions this weekend regarding kessils, apex, ect. Hoping to get this thing running before Christmas!

OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have presoaked dry rock arriving today and I’m excited to scape the fluval edge. Thinking something thin and tall with lots of branches to fill out the tall tank vertically. Still undecided if the shallow will have a typical aquascape or if i want to contrast tanks with a bare bottom frag tank, or anemone only, ect. Thoughts on how to best utilize the 2 tank system? Or how would you personally stock a dual nano like this as far what to keep in each?

i have 2 kessil a160we led’s coming the next day. I didn’t realize the a3 apex I purchased on Black Friday didn’t include the 1-10v ports. Those are only on the apex pro, so i have to purchase the VDM module to have control on the kessils. Really wish I had caught this and just went all put with the pro because i would end up getting so much more for another 100 bucks. I’m a little bummed that the kessils don’t have a lunar/ moonlight capability but the kessils shimmer is unbelievable. I could always upgrade to stand alone lunar led’s to plug into the VDM as well, however mounting will be another problem to solve. Im planning to mount the kessil from the ceiling with industrial wire for the shallow. The edge comes with and led and plastic canopy, i will need to modify mine to make it taller and eithwr mount the kessil into it, or hang it into the canopy with industrial wire as well. Still have lots to figure out but talking it through with you all helps.
Much appreciated reefers!
More pictures coming today, stay tuned!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape is for the tall tank is complete.
How did I do?
I’m not sure how I want the shallow tank next to it. Currently, im content to chuck the leftover rock in a pile and call it “good for now” on the shallow.
A8C6C963-5D29-45BD-815A-5A3249F28505.jpeg014E34FC-B3A4-4C91-868E-D5BF29582CC5.jpegB60B1D75-D237-4C24-A932-4188CEF02B24.jpegAE5728DC-8021-4A54-929C-C822864E9922.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast
AS
OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great so far, and I agree with others, your aqua scape looks really great for that tank!
appreciate it! I hope I left enough room between rocks and glass. I made sure I can fit the flipper, but as far as grow out room, it will be tight. did I leave enough room at the top?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! how would you scape the shallow if this was your set up? Im leaning towards a bare bottom frag tank but Im still unsure. I need some suggestions!
I think your good, main thing to be careful of if their is a wave will the rock go out of the tank's water or not. and if you plan on putting coral on the top part will it grow out of the water. Personally thought I think you are ok with how it looks.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back