We are in the first quarter of the year. How has 2023 been to you?

BRS

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good:
Tank is stable, for the most all parameters are staying consistent. Just dealing with low ALK but it's no real biggie esp since I have no corals yet. Oh yeah, family is good, daughter is doing well in her first year away at college and son has found steady employment....I guess that counts right...lol
The bad:
A couple unexplained fish losses, never figured out a reason. Underperforming stretch at the business and only one class offered to teach at the locally cc has really tightened the purse strings. I just can't seem to save enough for proper lighting to add corals! Tank is just really bare looking, I'm really wanting to add some colorful coral and increase the biodiversity but lights are so expensive :(

CLICK TO VIEW

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good:
Tank is stable, for the most all parameters are staying consistent. Just dealing with low ALK but it's no real biggie esp since I have no corals yet. Oh yeah, family is good, daughter is doing well in her first year away at college and son has found steady employment....I guess that counts right...lol
The bad:
A couple unexplained fish losses, never figured out a reason. Underperforming stretch at the business and only one class offered to teach at the locally cc has really tightened the purse strings. I just can't seem to save enough for proper lighting to add corals! Tank is just really bare looking, I'm really wanting to add some colorful coral and increase the biodiversity but lights are so expensive :(
What size tank ?
lighting can be a pain , the same lights I’ve used for many years might not be enough for this particular system being 27” deep

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank ?
lighting can be a pain , the same lights I’ve used for many years might not be enough for this particular system being 27” deep
It's a 75gal tank. I would like an ati sunpower, used ones are reasonable but still currently out of reach.
I was leaning toward making my own with the LET kits since I have a workshop and that wouldn't be difficult to do. Thing is once I buy the kit and make the frame and what not it's almost the price of the sunpower.
I've looked at grow lights too but I'm still on the fence there as well. There's a lot of info for and against those.
I need to win the lotto :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Attachments

• KIMG1625.JPG
    KIMG1625.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 4
Avast

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75gal tank. I would like an ati sunpower, used ones are reasonable but still currently out of reach.
I was leaning toward making my own with the LET kits since I have a workshop and that wouldn't be difficult to do. Thing is once I buy the kit and make the frame and what not it's almost the price of the sunpower.
I've looked at grow lights too but I'm still on the fence there as well. There's a lot of info for and against those.
I need to win the lotto :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
We all need the lotto

I built my t5 fixture from
A old Salvage fixture .
replaced the bulbs and ends , added bulbs and have had it for many years .
Problem is it’s not enough to penetrate the depth with this particular tank

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2023 is going awesome. I began to reach out to people in the industry, looking to learn and share information. I want to contribute as much as possible and help the community wherever I can. Reefing isn't just a hobby to me, it is who I am. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin life man. My lfs is getting in sweet nuggets at kick butt prices. Just scored a nice zoa rock with like 4 kind son it for 60 bones.
20230408_150622.jpg

Not even sure what they are but lovin it.

Got this torch for 75.
20230408_150630.jpg

And a good size duncan for 20
20230408_150639.jpg

Shibaken3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GOOD: added a lot more coral and acro.
The BAD: My fish got ich. Doing a fallow on DT from February. Did some copper treatment to the fish in QT. Bc there are no fish in the DT super low nutrient and coral are now looking pale. The fish will be back in DT in a week so it should be ok. It has been 2 months and a week since the ich and I will be winning this ich battle. Also learned to quarantine fish and coral.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been pretty good, Everything that is in my tank currently is doing fantastic. All inverts and fish are thriving and coral is growing and very happy. Some things that have bugged me is price increases and availability of certain fishes and corals i want to get are very hard to find. Tailspot blenny and xenia or leather corals.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back