Waterbox 65.4 Lighting Advice Needed – AI Prime 16HD vs Hydra 32

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a Waterbox 65.4 AIO (47.2" x 19.7" x 17.7") currently running two AI Prime 16HDs. I've noticed there are a few spots in the tank where the lighting is lower than I’d like, especially considering I keep mostly Torch Corals and Bubble Tip Anemones. I’m also planning to try some LPS corals in the future.

Currently, in some parts, I’m getting around 250 PAR, but if I move over about 10 inches or so, it drops drastically to 100 PAR. That's not even on the sand bed yet. In the corners, it drops down to about 30 PAR, and directly under the lights, the sand bed is around 100 PAR.

I’m debating whether it would be more beneficial to add an additional AI Prime 16HD or switch things up by adding a Hydra 32 in the middle, keeping the two AI Prime 16s on either side. I know the Hydra 32 is basically two Prime 16s combined, but I’m wondering if the extra power and spread from the Hydra would give me better coverage overall.

Any thoughts or advice? Would the upgrade to a Hydra 32 in the middle be worth it, or should I just add a third AI Prime?

Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo

Attachments

• IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 24

jcmjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a great BRS tv episode specifically on the prime HD, it shows you different configurations and how critical mounting height is. It is worth the watch. It will show the spread difference over a tank very similar to yours with a different combo of the 16 hds. I have 32s over 75 gallon and a single prime over a 15 gallon cube . I love these lights. Me personally, I would put another 16 right in the middle and maybe raise them all up a little. Definitely watch the BRS episode. I hope this helps!

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a great BRS tv episode specifically on the prime HD, it shows you different configurations and how critical mounting height is. It is worth the watch. It will show the spread difference over a tank very similar to yours with a different combo of the 16 hds. I have 32s over 75 gallon and a single prime over a 15 gallon cube . I love these lights. Me personally, I would put another 16 right in the middle and maybe raise them all up a little. Definitely watch the BRS episode. I hope this helps!
I just rewatched the episode because your message reminded me of it. Funny enough, that video is actually what pushed me to get my PAR meter in the first place, and it made me realize I definitely need an extra light for the middle of my tank. I know the Hydra 32 is basically two Prime 16s combined, which has me wondering if it's worth the investment or just overkill. The price difference is about $150, and I’m really trying to figure out if the Hydra 32 would help reduce shadowing, bring out better color, and maybe future-proof my setup—especially since I do plan to add SPS corals one day….. starting to lean towards what you said and add another 16HD after watching the video again.

jcmjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always put the hydra 32 in the middle and set it up as a “ separate” light and do your same spectrum just not as intense? Just another idea!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could either add another light or 2 ReefBrite XHO's,Orphrek OR3 Blue Plus (you'd have to hang these pretty high,so may be a no go) or 2 Quanta Helix bars.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back