Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blasterman may be onto something with the Palys.

If you have to clean your glass every few days, you should have enough nutrients.

That is a powerful fixture. But if you tested with a PAR meter you should be okay. At the same height and with a tall tank, I was getting well over 300PAR at 44% blue/12% whites and AB+ You do have to be careful with the whites in my experience with that fixture but I'm sure others will say no issues.

Those are Jason Fox Mohican Suns bought direct from Jason. They are pink and orange/yellow. Jason ID's them as Zoas but I guess Idk how accurate that is. I run ROX Carbon which is generally accepted as helping filter that stuff out. They are the one that typically remain open the whole time. Also, fwiw, I had SPS issues before them as well as after. I would consider taking them out but then I would have no coral at all! Lol. If they weren't the issue and I took them out, Idk I could justify keeping the tank in its entirety. It would just be FOWLR with no cool fish. Also, those are in my QT tank. Not in that quantity but those frags are OK so far. I'd also be surprised if someone like Jason didn't notice issues in cultivating them but maybe it is it?

Interesting on the PAR you saw with the same fixture. What are your tank dimensions?

Yeah, I’m still figuring it out and relatively new to the SPS in my tank so I was hesitant to post, but everything else for your tank seems on point so it’s weird and I understand how frustrating it can be. So I thought I’d throw it out.

My general flow thoughts also coming from another frag seemingly having better PE with reduced flow in its area (wasn’t directly hit by any stream of flow). To put it in context... had icecap 1k gyre running at 100% random mode on that side; reduced it couple days ago to 50%).

But as I said, I’m tweaking things now after initially just following the “get as much flow as possible as long as it’s not directly hitting corals” idea... so need more time to assess myself.

Hoping others have input (even to say it’s nonsense lol).

edit: oh and I guess I’ll add, along with reduction, I changed from random mode to alternating gyre, but not with the housing changed to go forward and reverse. It basically does regular gyre push forward for 20 sec, then reverses to just turbulent flow for 10 sec at angle down. Just to put more “random” in it

Yea, the regurgitated internet information I see suggests all frags are different in flow/lighting preferences. I suppose, according to that, its possible one tenuis might love high flow while another doesn't? Dunno.

Ditto on the feedback. All ideas are stepping off points for sure.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have taken daily photos of the frags. They're up close in pretty good detail. It will take a bit of time but I can post them to allow people to watch the progression of their deterioration. I was hoping someone could "read" that and tell me something. lol. Like a coral whisperer.

ap7x

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the regurgitated internet information I see suggests all frags are different in flow/lighting preferences. I suppose, according to that, its possible one tenuis might love high flow while another doesn't? Dunno.

Ditto on the feedback. All ideas are stepping off points for sure.

Well, to be clear - I think all sps thrive in relatively high flow. I don’t think it’s so delicate that you have to pinpoint their exact preferences. But what I mean was basically that line from high flow to too high - especially for frags.

From my earlier example, the voodoo magik still whips... just not in a hurricane lol. Also in hindsight... I had a milli about 3 inches next to it a few weeks ago (Before I got the voodoo) that had great PE in the sand... then once I mounted it in that area, it basically started dying. I’ve remounted it to a lower flow area and it’s holding onto dear life, but alive. Since then, a milli was put in same place as old milli (same time as voodoo, timing it with the reduction in flow) and it’s doing ok as far as I can see. Now I’ve made other adjustments past few weeks so not 100% saying flow but...food for thought.

I actually forgot about your video so I saw it... If the gyre is constantly (or for a good amount of time) pushing the flow and riding the walls right into the frag rack... Is it too much flow into them? That’s what I’m wondering. And frags in the past that were mounted... did they get “too much” from the Neptunes, even if not directly hit?

what are your gyre/Neptune settings at atm?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to be clear - I think all sps thrive in relatively high flow. I don’t think it’s so delicate that you have to pinpoint their exact preferences. But what I mean was basically that line from high flow to too high - especially for frags.

From my earlier example, the voodoo magik still whips... just not in a hurricane lol. Also in hindsight... I had a milli about 3 inches next to it a few weeks ago (Before I got the voodoo) that had great PE in the sand... then once I mounted it in that area, it basically started dying. I’ve remounted it to a lower flow area and it’s holding onto dear life, but alive. Since then, a milli was put in same place as old milli (same time as voodoo, timing it with the reduction in flow) and it’s doing ok as far as I can see. Now I’ve made other adjustments past few weeks so not 100% saying flow but...food for thought.

I actually forgot about your video so I saw it... If the gyre is constantly (or for a good amount of time) pushing the flow and riding the walls right into the frag rack... Is it too much flow into them? That’s what I’m wondering. And frags in the past that were mounted... did they get “too much” from the Neptunes, even if not directly hit?

I run 4 MP40’s on a 120 with all 4 giving flow at different percentages using constant/reef crest. I personally feel it’s not hammering them direct, the polyps on sps are moving all different ways taking chaotic flow.

Here is a quick video of my birds nest as an example-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea, I've tried to "read" coral reactions in the past. While I think most of it is kinda obvious, its hard to be sure as all mine end up ultimately dying. lol.

The gyres ride the back wall and by the time it comes around to the front, its pretty diffused/slow. In my head, it keeps the water well mixed but in all honesty, I feel they don't contribute much to "flow" in terms of the fluid velocity a frag sees. Think of it as if you run your hand to stir a bath tub, kinda right after you stop stirring. Its a gentle smooth whirl/gyre. They run in alternating mode to alternate the gyre every 3 min with 90% power in the positive direction (into the open water of the back wall).

The WAV pumps... Well, OK. I liked them due to their price. If you have an Apex, the two powerheads are pretty well priced. They're rated at 4000GPH. I thought they were good. Then I got a Jebao for my QT. Much smaller powerhead but man, that thing PUSHES some water. It really made me question the amount of water my WAV pumps push. So I have the biggest Jebao coming in the mail this week. I am going to put it next to my WAV and see if its much stronger or not. The larger tank volume in the DT may be deceiving my eyes and maybe the WAV's are good. But I want to see a similarly rated Jebao side-by-side.

The WAV pumps are at 95% on alternating mode every 3 seconds.

That said, the polyps in my QT get whipped around a good bit. From watching Battle Corals, Coral Euphoria and WWC, it seems this should be a good thing. And my QT frags like it, the indirect effect of high velocity flow. So regardless of which pumps I get, I will be adding 2 more powerheads to my DT to try and better reproduce that effect. But to your point, time will tell, that maybe the wrong direction.

I just know the water in my QT is very turbulent. I wouldn't really want a calm fish in there. My DT flow, my calm fish are fine in open water. I am aiming to change that.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 MP40’s on a 120 with all 4 giving flow at different percentages using constant/reef crest. I personally feel it’s not hammering them direct, the polyps on sps are moving all different ways taking chaotic flow.

Here is a quick video of my birds nest as an example-

Yea, this is more like what my QT is at. My DT, the polyps move and change direction with the gyres but they certain don't get whiplash. Again, I maybe wrong, but I thought they like whiplash.

That said, is that alone enough to kill a SPS frag? Idk...

P.S. Thanks for the video!

Corals.com

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, this is more like what my QT is at. My DT, the polyps move and change direction with the gyres but they certain don't get whiplash. Again, I maybe wrong, but I thought they like whiplash.

That said, is that alone enough to kill a SPS frag? Idk...

P.S. Thanks for the video!

I added a second one of my rainbow. The mili’s are hard to get a good video on due to location in the middle of the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 01:
1 All.jpg
Acro.jpg
Milli.jpg
Monti.jpg

I left some of the coralline on the Stylo exposed. I want that plating stuff. You will see on later photos, it receeds some. Idk if I got glue on it or what but it is now coming back (the coralline).
Stylo.jpg

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 05:

1 All.jpg
Acro.jpg

Here, maybe the milli tip corallite is starting to wear? I didn't notice for another week maybe, when it got worse.
Milli.jpg

Algae growing on monti edges.
Monti.jpg

As stated before, Idk if glue got on coralline but the spot remaining here has gotten bigger.
Stylo.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ATI water test. Try running some cuprasorb Incase there’s some weird metals. Check all pumps and equipment for corrosion. Corals love random flow. Flow maybe more important than light. Also back down the rox carbon. That stuff is strong. My tank is 120 total gallons. I only run a 1/4 cup at a time. If I run to much my corals wither. Check for stray voltage, and check you heater for condensation or moisture. Good luck.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40s on my 50 gallon cube and it’s very difficult to find a perfect flow for everything. I have some that get hit constantly in the same direction and it doesn’t kill them. Some will try to grow away from the flow.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ATI water test. Try running some cuprasorb Incase there’s some weird metals. Check all pumps and equipment for corrosion. Corals love random flow. Flow maybe more important than light. Also back down the rox carbon. That stuff is strong. My tank is 120 total gallons. I only run a 1/4 cup at a time. If I run to much my corals wither. Check for stray voltage, and check you heater for condensation or moisture. Good luck.

I think the ATI test is in my future at this point. I'm pretty confident its not that but to rule it out, I will be getting one.

Noted on the ROX. That said, these are the first frags I've used ROX with before, at least in a reactor. I used less than the BRS advised amount but I think its more than 1/4 cup.

Will cuprisorb get stuff out that carbon won't? I have used Poly filter in the past. It reacts by changing color to tell you what contaminants you may have. IIRC, it reacted in the generic color, indicating nothing abnormal.

No stray voltage. I run a ground and GFCI. It has been checked with a DMM.

I have 2 mp40s on my 50 gallon cube and it’s very difficult to find a perfect flow for everything. I have some that get hit constantly in the same direction and it doesn’t kill them. Some will try to grow away from the flow.

Yea, that is in line with what I see most people say. I've always figured keeping the water wlel mixed is the biggest deal with no dead spots. While the right flow might stimulate coral, I thought too little flow alone wouldn't kill them. I maybe wrong though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ap7x

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I’m glad you chimed in. From the multitude of flow posts I read, I remember yours specifically (also since your general tank philosophy with no3/po4, I have adopted lol). I remember at one point you ran like 15% pulse or something and I think you mentioned you had Tenuis rtn when you tried higher % reef crest mode? Then I think now you run higher %and reef crest?

Did you determine the higher flow didn’t cause your Tenuis to rtn? And what made you up your flow (and if reef crest, why switched from pulse)? And what % are you running now?

apologies beforehand if I got something wrong lol

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but your first couple pictures appear to show dinos on the corals. Dinoflagellates are poison to corals and can suffocate and kill corals. Your nutrients are low and can bring them out. I have been there before and had to implement heavy nutrients along with UV.

I circled a couple areas for reference in your picture.

20200428_214916.jpg

Could be wrong but Just a thought. Whatever it is hope everything works out for you in the end.

Last edited:
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back