Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when you’ve reached the maintenances level on Vodka Dosing? For my Phosphates and Nitrates, I never detected any Phosphate and just a trace of Nitrates, before I started. The Hair Algae has greatly receded. I’m on my 45th day of Vodka Dosing, with the weekly increases in Vodka. Couple of observations, my Skimmer Cups need more frequent cleanings and I only get a day or two, before my 200 Micron Filter Socks are overflowing. Except on my Aquarium that has the LifeReef Skimmer and UV. That Filter Sock is actually on a bypass, only part of the water goes through that sock, before returning to the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair Algae was feeding on something, and taking over. Vodka was suggested by a fellow hobbyist to try that before using using Reef Flux, which would wipe out my desirable Macros and possibly damage my Corals. So far pleased with the results.

Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair Algae was feeding on something, and taking over. Vodka was suggested by a fellow hobbyist to try that before using using Reef Flux, which would wipe out my desirable Macros and possibly damage my Corals. So far pleased with the results.
How old of a tank? Algae is a normal part of the maturing process. By bottoming out your nutrients you're inviting dinos which is a new problem.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was dosing vodka to bring levels down to deal with algae (by encouraging nitrifying bacteria growth via carbon dosing) I would stop once the levels were where I wanted them, manually remove any remaining algae I could get to (let snails/crabs eat the rest) and see if my corals take over controlling/consuming those nutrients. Also adjust skimming wetter/dryer depending. Just my .02 :)

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 Gallon was the Original Aquarium, set up March 1, 1999. Present Live Rock, purchased in Florida Summer of 2001, brought up submerged. October 8, 2018, moved everything to 30 Gallon and 45 Gallon, with some new and old Gravel. Original Live Rock Moved. 65 Gallon set up August 24, 2019. Added new Gravel and moved Gravel and Original Live Rock. 120 Gallon set up on June 27, 2022. Been transferring over Original Live Rock, seeded Gravel with Gravel from 65 Gallon, been adding Corals, Snails, Hermits, Fish and Transferring Fish over slowly. So I’d say it’s old. Hair algae, got away from me when I got sick, this Summer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 Gallon was the Original Aquarium, set up March 1, 1999. Present Live Rock, purchased in Florida Summer of 2001, brought up submerged. October 8, 2018, moved everything to 30 Gallon and 45 Gallon, with some new and old Gravel. Original Live Rock Moved. 65 Gallon set up August 24, 2019. Added new Gravel and moved Gravel and Original Live Rock. 120 Gallon set up on June 27, 2022. Been transferring over Original Live Rock, seeded Gravel with Gravel from 65 Gallon, been adding Corals, Snails, Hermits, Fish and Transferring Fish over slowly. So I’d say it’s old. Hair algae, got away from me when I got sick, this Summer.
Manual removal, ensuring proper CuC, dosing live phyto are the methods I would be using. If nutrients are already low, nopox dosing wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that very low nutrients might risk dino's and I'd slow or stop dosing the vodka.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back