Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Some poeple have found success against dinos with algaefix/vibrant etc but not because it worked as part of a biodiversity-themed approach. In fact, the polyquat algaecide is especially effective against diatoms which are frequently the best competitor to the dinos.

Anecdotally, some people find using Algaefix etc useful vs dinos, but not a very high percentage. Dino-X is a similar chemical that seems to be somewhat stronger/harsher. A higher % of people find Dino-X treatment effective vs dinos (and a higher % report adverse effects on livestock compared to algaefix etc).

Corals.com
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an algaecide and will not increase any biodiversity. It simply kills algae.
I thought I'd heard that but it says on the bottle that it's like 95% bacteria. So much for truth in advertising. Will it help eliminate dinos? Ryan Bachelor has a BRS video suggesting it be used in conjunction with MB7 and Dr Tims Waste Away as part of a program to eradicate them. His approach also suggests daily manual removal and a 3-4 day total blackout.
I used the silicate approach several months ago and made a mess of my tank only to have dinos return a few months later.

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Some poeple have found success against dinos with algaefix/vibrant etc but not because it worked as part of a biodiversity-themed approach. In fact, the polyquat algaecide is especially effective against diatoms which are frequently the best competitor to the dinos.

Anecdotally, some people find using Algaefix etc useful vs dinos, but not a very high percentage. Dino-X is a similar chemical that seems to be somewhat stronger/harsher. A higher % of people find Dino-X treatment effective vs dinos (and a higher % report adverse effects on livestock compared to algaefix etc).
What's your go to treatment for dinos?

Top Shelf Aquatics

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your go to treatment for dinos?
Short answer:
If it's a type that goes into the water and my tank is happy otherwise, then I'm just running UV and not messing with much else.
If my tank (corals etc) are looking not right, and I'm near zero on PO4/NO3 then I'm adjusting nutrients by dosing PO4 or NO3. Many find good targets to be 0.10ppm and 5-10ppm respectively.

If it's a sand / bottom-dwelling type, I'm going to add a couple tenths ppm of Si daily to try to let diatoms compete in that niche.

I'm vacuuming out visible uglies and running GAC regardless.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back