Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96” x 36” x 45”. Would love to hear your ideas
These are some random ideas:
Return Lines
You can lower the water level in the display tank by a few inches to allow for drilling holes for return lines, rather than routing them over the top. To prevent shards from falling into the water while drilling, tape a container inside the tank at the drilling site to catch debris.

I recommend drilling four holes and using two return pumps, each split to feed two of the holes. This setup provides redundancy and better overall flow, which is critical for maintaining a healthy reef environment.

In-Tank Flow
If you want to add closed loops for additional flow, you could plumb them through the bottom of the tank. However, this would require draining the entire tank and creating holes large enough in the stand to fit the bulkheads.

Alternatively, you could place MP60s mid-tank on the short sides and gyres at the top to achieve optimal water movement throughout the tank.

Removing the Sand Bed
Since my tank will be 25 inches high, I’ve opted for a bare-bottom setup. While many people have success with sand beds in large tanks, I prefer the cleaner look and lower maintenance of bare bottom. This also allows for more aggressive pump placement near the bottom of the tank, as there’s no sand to disturb. Any detritus that collects can be easily siphoned off, keeping the tank pristine.

Consider trying to relocate the exercise equipment

You could run lines under the stairs and box them in. Having the ability to have a large sump with clear access is a huge benefit. Move the dehumidifier to the room or just run a feed the unit from the exercise room incorporating an inline fan.

I have more ideas but am getting tired—will share more later!

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are some random ideas:
Return Lines
You can lower the water level in the display tank by a few inches to allow for drilling holes for return lines, rather than routing them over the top. To prevent shards from falling into the water while drilling, tape a container inside the tank at the drilling site to catch debris.

I recommend drilling four holes and using two return pumps, each split to feed two of the holes. This setup provides redundancy and better overall flow, which is critical for maintaining a healthy reef environment.

In-Tank Flow
If you want to add closed loops for additional flow, you could plumb them through the bottom of the tank. However, this would require draining the entire tank and creating holes large enough in the stand to fit the bulkheads.

Alternatively, you could place MP60s mid-tank on the short sides and gyres at the top to achieve optimal water movement throughout the tank.

Removing the Sand Bed
Since my tank will be 25 inches high, I’ve opted for a bare-bottom setup. While many people have success with sand beds in large tanks, I prefer the cleaner look and lower maintenance of bare bottom. This also allows for more aggressive pump placement near the bottom of the tank, as there’s no sand to disturb. Any detritus that collects can be easily siphoned off, keeping the tank pristine.

Consider trying to relocate the exercise equipment
You could run lines under the stairs and box them in. Having the ability to have a large sump with clear access is a huge benefit. Move the dehumidifier to the room or just run a feed the unit from the exercise room incorporating an inline fan.

I have more ideas but am getting tired—will share more later!

The main concern with this tank is there are structural questions that have been raised and its age. Given these concerns I would rather not drill as I don’t want there to be any more chance of compromising integrity. The interesting thing about this house is the builder was also himself a reef hobbyist and owner of a local reef shop previously. I called him today and hoping he can give me some guidance if there is a way to route the drains and return lines through the stairs and into the fitness room. Of course I will need the wife’s blessing before this is even a possibility.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.titanaquaticexhibits.com/how-thick-does-acrylic-need-to-be-for-an-aquarium/#:~:text=In general, here are the,½ inch acrylic sheet thickness.

There is a calculator in this link. Plugging in the dimensions of your tank, it says minimum thickness should be around 1.75" with bracing and 2.65" without bracing. I think your tank is already seeing some stress crazing due to it being 1.5" thick acrylic.

If Tenecor doesn't respond, maybe reach out to Titan Aquatics Exhibits, and get a professional advice on your situation.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what kind of space you have but there is really no negatives in a multi tank sump. My previous reef system I used 3 100g stock tanks for the main body of the sump. Also had a 75g fuge and a 90g nps tank sitting above them off to the sides. The 2 reef tanks were upstairs. In my case I had plenty of room so I did a tiered setup with the stock tanks but honestly just having them on the same level would work as well.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont know what kind of space you have but there is really no negatives in a multi tank sump. My previous reef system I used 3 100g stock tanks for the main body of the sump. Also had a 75g fuge and a 90g nps tank sitting above them off to the sides. The 2 reef tanks were upstairs. In my case I had plenty of room so I did a tiered setup with the stock tanks but honestly just having them on the same level would work as well.

How did you connect the multiple sumps? I think I would use 2 bulkheads for redundancy but how about size? Should the bulkheads that connects the multiple tanks be the same size as the drains? So in my tank 1.5”?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you connect the multiple sumps? I think I would use 2 bulkheads for redundancy but how about size? Should the bulkheads that connects the multiple tanks be the same size as the drains? So in my tank 1.5”?
Exactly I used 2 x 1.5" bulk heads from one to the other. I had a reeflo hammerhead feeding the two tanks upstairs, cant off the top of my head remember exactly how much flow that equated to after head pressure but I am thinking around 2000gph divided between the 2 tanks. The sump handled that with no issues. The 1st stock tank was full of rock. The second stock tank was my frag tank and skimmer chamber. The "return chamber" 3rd stock tank housed my ato and 100' of pex for heating.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SumpModel.jpg

So this is kind of what I was thinking. On the left side under the tank will be the 55 gallon. Looking from the bottom of the model, the first section is for the two 1.5" drains. This overflows from the top to area of the filter socks vs filter roller. Honestly, filter socks have worked so much better for me in ease of maintenance. I buy a ton of them and then just swap them out. I clean them all every few months. Anyway, I think either four 4" socks vs two 7" socks. The water drains under and into the next open chamber. There are two 1.5" bulkheads at the bottom that connect via 1.5" PVC pipes to the right side of the system. This will be a 75 gallon tank. The first chamber is for the skimmer. There are bubble traps which leads to chamber for return. I do think I want to splurge on the Abyzz for reliability. Height wise, the pump probably needs to pump up 6-7 feet. Which model of the Abyzz should I get? The pump will also be plumbed into a manifold system to feed UV, reactors, etc. I will have a back up pump but maybe only a Reef Octopus Varios 8 or Vectra or something like that. I was thinking the manifold will also feed to a refugium wherever I can find place. The refugium will be as big as I have place for and feed back to the return section via gravity to keep things simple.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the LifeReef skimmer from Jeff that I'm thinking about. This is the VS-3-60. This thing looks like a beast. It is 5 feet tall and the diameter of collection cup is 8". It's rated for 700 gallons. I have been using a LifeReef skimmer for my 260 gallon SPS tank. This thing never has caused me problems. There is never any adjustments to make. I never have to clean the collection cup or the neck of the skimmer etc. It just works. You can use any pump although Jeff recommends the old school Mag Drive pumps. I don't care for AC pumps but again it just works. I'm probably going to use another Varios 8 or a Vectra. The skimmer can be extended and made taller for more performance. The pump can also be upgraded to be stronger for better performance. I know I sound like I work for Jeff lol.

1728046616357.png

Last edited:

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the LifeReef skimmer from Jeff that I'm thinking about. This is the VS-3-60. This thing looks like a beast. It is 5 feet tall and the diameter of collection cup is 8". It's rated for 700 gallons. I have been using a LifeReef skimmer for my 260 gallon SPS tank. This thing never has caused me problems. There is never any adjustments to make. I never have to clean the collection cup or the neck of the skimmer etc. It just works. You can use any pump although Jeff recommends the old school Mag Drive pumps. I don't care for AC pumps but again it just works. I'm probably going to use another Varios 8 or a Vectra. The skimmer can be extended and made taller for more performance. The pump can also be upgraded to be stronger for better performance. I know I sound like I work for Jeff lol.

1728046616357.png
Venturi skimmers are the Only way to go on big tanks. I love the one I use. But OMG does it make the house stink when I empty the skim-locker into the toilet.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just realized Mp60s wouldn’t even work for this tank. The cut off is 1” for these pumps. What do I use for flow? Closed loop is not an option - won’t drill this tank. The Abyzz would provide flow from the returns but I need more flow than that. Any one have experience with the Panta Rhei’s? Would those pumps work? I have heard about them but will need to do more research.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using gyres 5280gph mid and low in the tank. The wires would detract from the aesthetics. You are between a rock and a hard place.

If you want to keep SPS and you are concerned about drilling a last resort is replace the tank. 48" height is challenging in a number of ways. You could design exactly what you want. It is all about the expense

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back