Very cold tap water, how to improve RODI efficency?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i live in the mountain, tap water comes out at 11 celsius or 51F.

I would like to improve rodi efficency since i'm not big fan of throwing water away if possible.

2 solution i tought...

- Can i plug rodi sistem to a mixer (dont know the name in english, but like a faucet for the shower that mix cold and hot water to make it the temperature i want)?

- Or i put a booster pump?

Is a small 50GPD 4 stage system and i need roughly 50 liter per week.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is very cold here but output went up dramatically with a booster pump. I was at about 50 PSI and am 90 now.

You can also plumb into the cold AND hot... two valves to control how much enters on each and Y them together then to the RODI, aim for 70-80 degrees to boost water production.

I was happy with my output with just a booster pump.

Last edited:

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also mixing valves that are used to prevent toilet tanks from sweating. Could use them for this too. :)

1723656945612.jpeg

Amazon product

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is very cold here but output went up dramatically with a booster pump. I was at about 50 PSI and am 90 now.

You can also plumb into the cold AND hot... two valves to control how much enters on each and Y them together then to the RODI, aim for 70-80 degrees as this is the most efficient temp.

I was happy with my output with just a booster pump.
Since budget is quite strict i was trying to find the best solution. I can choose between booster OR mixer
There are also mixing valves that are used to prevent toilet tanks from sweating. Could use them for this too. :)

1723656945612.jpeg

Amazon product

exactly what i was speaking about

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to speed up the flow, or as you literally asked, make it more efficient. Cold water is actually more efficient, if slower.
Oh, i didn't know that. I would like to improve efficency and also water quantity production but maybe i am looking at it in the worng way. At the moment, for every liter of water produced there is 2.22liters of water thrown out.

In my case what would you think would be the best solution? upgrade and get a 100GPD system would cost me same as putting a pump or putting a hot/cold water mixer.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, i didn't know that. I would like to improve efficency and also water quantity production but maybe i am looking at it in the worng way. At the moment, for every liter of water produced there is 2.22liters of water thrown out.

In my case what would you think would be the best solution? upgrade and get a 100GPD system would cost me same as putting a pump or putting a hot/cold water mixer.

Increasing the incoming pressure will help both quality and quantity.
1723720004156.png

You are already at a fairly high recovery rate 30% Filmtec membranes are tested at 15%.

You are not just throwing water away you are using it to remove the tds.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing the incoming pressure will help both quality and quantity.
1723720004156.png

You are already at a fairly high recovery rate 30% Filmtec membranes are tested at 15%.

You are not just throwing water away you are using it to remove the tds.
Seen that system is 2 year old, i hve opted for buying a new one. I use cheap 50euro 4 step system. I have bought a 100GPD one instead of my 50gpd so i should have the double of the production and keep pressure and temperature as it is. In fact, looking a bit in to it, my 2:1 ratio isn't that bad. And i am now scared that upping pressure it does not increase my production as much as it increase my waste since water is cold.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Seen that system is 2 year old, i hve opted for buying a new one. I use cheap 50euro 4 step system. I have bought a 100GPD one instead of my 50gpd so i should have the double of the production and keep pressure and temperature as it is. In fact, looking a bit in to it, my 2:1 ratio isn't that bad. And i am now scared that upping pressure it does not increase my production as much as it increase my waste since water is cold.

No need to buy a new unit. Just buy a new membrane and DI resin along with filter blocks. Why pay for the holders again?

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to buy a new unit. Just buy a new membrane and DI resin along with filter blocks. Why pay for the holders again?
Only membrane is 34Euro ...54Euro for the whole system and i get also the other 3 cartridge...if i buy them separately it cost me more (i use the arka myaqua)

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would recommend the booster as well, and I was going to look into a second RO Membrane. I seem to recall BRS mentioning that it reduced the waste water dramatically.
Good Luck!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only membrane is 34Euro ...54Euro for the whole system and i get also the other 3 cartridge...if i buy them separately it cost me more (i use the arka myaqua)

Well that is annoying that replacement filters cost more then a new system. That is encourages people to add plastic waste to the landfill.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi guys, i live in the mountain, tap water comes out at 11 celsius or 51F.

I would like to improve rodi efficency since i'm not big fan of throwing water away if possible.

2 solution i tought...

- Can i plug rodi sistem to a mixer (dont know the name in english, but like a faucet for the shower that mix cold and hot water to make it the temperature i want)?

- Or i put a booster pump?

Is a small 50GPD 4 stage system and i need roughly 50 liter per week.
I suggest running water into a rubbermaid/brute type of container with a heater and bringing it to temp when its needed for mixing and also providing you a reserve

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the booster as well, and I was going to look into a second RO Membrane. I seem to recall BRS mentioning that it reduced the waste water dramatically.
Good Luck!
Yep but as it says randy's cold water is more efficient at a slow pace. so i am not sure nymore that a booster pump will be a good choice.
Well that is annoying that replacement filters cost more then a new system. That is encourages people to add plastic waste to the landfill.
i agree but that is on offer ATM is not normally the case.
I suggest running water into a rubbermaid/brute type of container with a heater and bringing it to temp when its needed for mixing and also providing you a reserve
yeah i saw that test i think on BRS channel but unfortunately not a option due to space restrictions :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yep but as it says randy's cold water is more efficient at a slow pace. so i am not sure nymore that a booster pump will be a good choice.

i agree but that is on offer ATM is not normally the case.

yeah i saw that test i think on BRS channel but unfortunately not a option due to space restrictions :(
You can accomplish this also with 5 gallon buckets with covers

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water hardness?
Hi, GH is 14Dh

I update on the situation, i had bought a new 100GPS and i am gone back to my old 50GPD. Production rate is the same and my old one have less rejection.

I don't know why, last thing i tought is that maybe my old one have a better quality membrane. I sincerely don;t know, all my measurement go against what i read around.

Old 50GPD, very cold water 1lt in 7 minute with a rejection of 2 liter every 1 liter of rodi.
New 100GPD, very cold water 1 liter in 8 minute with a rejection of 4 liter every liter of rody.

My 50GPD is overproducing water, making 1 liter every 7 minute it means that goes for 60GPD but water quality is always good at 4ppm after membrane and 0ppm after resin, 250ppm out of the tap.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back