Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with UV sterilizers. I am setting up a new tank and have been researching adding one to the new system for any added benefits. It's confusing stuff to me. For those with the knowledge, is it possible, through oversizing or otherwise, to install one UV sterilizer to effectively control BOTH parasites and help with nuisance algae? Or is that simply impossible?

Nutramar Foods

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to difference flow rates. Parasite control is 1.5 - 2 time turn over per hour as where algae and bacteria control is 4-6 x turn over per hour. The only way to achieve this is by installing two UV's with different flow rates to attack both issues.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
They need to difference flow rates. Parasite control is 1.5 - 2 time turn over per hour as where algae and bacteria control is 4-6 x turn over per hour. The only way to achieve this is by installing two UV's with different flow rates to attack both issues.

While I agree that the different organism need different flow rates to be eradicated, they should be posted in GPH (and not turnover per hour) and vary from unit to unit.

@XLReefer525 The manufacturer of your UV unit should have these figures posted in their spec sheet/box/manual/website.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with UV sterilizers. I am setting up a new tank and have been researching adding one to the new system for any added benefits. It's confusing stuff to me. For those with the knowledge, is it possible, through oversizing or otherwise, to install one UV sterilizer to effectively control BOTH parasites and help with nuisance algae? Or is that simply impossible?
If you have a controllable pump like a COR-20 then you can have it run at one flow rate during the day and a different rate at night, providing UV coverage for both algae and dinos, etc.

Nutramar Foods

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run it at the slower flow rate 24/7 and that will do it all for you, that’s what I did/do anyway without any issues.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LiamPM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run the slower flow rate through it - Unless you are battling a specific algae (Or dinoflagellettes) that is known to duplicate extremely quickly in the water column, quicker than the turnover you have through it for parasitic control - then most algae will be kept at bay on the slower flow rate anyway.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think you guys are confirming what I was hoping for - that is, run the unit at the slower flow rate for parasite control (my primary goal) and to some meaningful extent, nuisance algae will still be controlled. That is what I looking for. I don't want to run two units...

Nutramar Foods

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used these for years....

This light CAN NOT
* shine on coral or fish
* shine in YOUR eyes

....so placement of this submersible in a sump or dark part of tank AWAY from fish and coral

Wait what? An exposed UV bulb? That has to be the worst possible application, both in terms of safety and effectiveness, there is.
Just…why?

On topic: get a properly sized unit and have the flow rate for parasite control. Just don’t go and buy some weak unit like most. For example my 110w unit is undersized for my 1040L tank and I will be adding another 110w unit as soon as I can figure out the plumbing.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what? An exposed UV bulb? That has to be the worst possible application, both in terms of safety and effectiveness, there is.
Just…why?

On topic: get a properly sized unit and have the flow rate for parasite control. Just don’t go and buy some weak unit like most. For example my 110w unit is undersized for my 1040L tank and I will be adding another 110w unit as soon as I can figure out the plumbing.
Why? Just need a safe way to house the bulb (so no light escapes). IMO UV sterilizers may be the most overpriced item in our hobby for what it actually is. A (PVC) tube with a uv bulb inside; inlet, outlet. They don't even come with a pump at $500! :)

Edit: don't get me wrong, obv there are quality differences in the bulbs themselves but the housing is just hardware store stuff :)

OfficeReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controllable pump like a COR-20 then you can have it run at one flow rate during the day and a different rate at night, providing UV coverage for both algae and dinos, etc.
This can make a mess for your return. I recommend adding a plenum for two pumps with one variable and ensure your pipes and hoses are large enough for the flow.

Nutramar Foods

OfficeReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw an episode of BRS investigates on this recently and I did one similar myself with a very slow flow by adding UV inline and not removing a pipe first. It was like 100GPH and way below the recommended flow for algae. The problem with these is how they dwell in the water column and how/if they end up in DT. IMHO if you are doing this to control algae then I would not bother as UV alone will not prevent this nor prevent all the ugly stages. If you are doing this to say, add additional protection against illness on your fish, then go for it as that will always be the case provided the flow is low enough.

Notice this attachment from Aqua UV. It's recommended to oversize but if you will never upgrade past this with sump too, then go for the correct size. I strongly recommend adding something like Apex FMM with 1" flow module to determine just how much flow you think you are getting. You might be surprised to see this.

Aqua-UV-Saltwater-Sizing-Chart.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do realize UV is great for algae blooms and Parasite control but rarely if ever addresses what is there already and will address what passes through the unit and suspended.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just…why?

If you don't know your own flow rates in your sump, nor can't apply a submersible uv light, then I can't help you

AS

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't know your own flow rates in your sump, nor can't apply a submersible uv light, then I can't help you
Am I asking for help somehow?
I can calculate the flow rate in my sump just fine, what does that have to do with anything?
The fact is that it will basically be impossible to get an accurate idea of µWs/cm² with a uv bulb without a housing as there are to many variables with it just sitting inside the sump.
Also, it’s an unsafe and frankly stupid way to implement such a thing.
If this was something that was a good idea you would see it being used in aquaculture, zoos etc, but you don’t.

BlingityBling

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gate valve so I can change the flow as I please… run a month at one speed for a specific purpose and then change it up later to work on something else. I can’t imagine the state of a tank needing multiple things at the same time But I suppose it happens. I normally run just at a slower speed like others mentioned but it’s nice to build in some adjustability for yourself.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back