+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed, no. Nice to have, yes.

A properly sized UV is a great thing to have for when you need it. But I wouldnt run it all the time unless you have an active outbreak of something.

Adding a new fish, bacterial blooms, diatoms. UV ON.

You dont need a skimmer, or filter socks, or even a sump. But they make things easier. A UV is just another level of that.
Nicely said, we don’t really need anything but the additional equipment is nicer IF it makes tank life easy.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not do much for the parasites at all what my point haha. I think UV sterilizers rely on a bit of doing what they do because someone wishes them to work that way. It may also make algae worse in a tank. UV is like a bandaid for disease. It doesn't stop nor prevent disease. For bacteria or free floating algae, ask your self how often do you actually have blooms of pelagic bacteria and algae. All a UV likely does is destroy free food for the zooplankton and filter feeders and remove competition that would compete against rock algae.
I get what you mean, I haven’t purchased one yet, for now all I want to make sure is my tank is healthy for the fish coming soon. Currently my tank is still reading some ammonia, hoping that come downs soon.

bpinkstaff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find UV invaluable, but you need to understand how it works.

It doesn't kill anything, it sterilises the organism so that it can no longer replicate.
Different organisms need different UV exposure to sterilise them, so you cannot have a single UV do many tasks at the same time.

You can choose a flow rate that will prevent algae or bacterial blooms, which is a fast flow rate as they are simple organisms.

For control of protozoa or other complex organisms, you need a much slower flow rate to give enough UV exposure for sterilization. A slow flow like that will not help with algae as the algae replicates faster than the time to turnover the tank water volume.

UV will only sterilise whatever goes through the unit, 'good bacteria' live on surfaces such as rock and do not normally exist in the water column, so they will remain untouched.

If you add bacterial products to the water, you need to turn off the UV for several hours to allow the replication and distribution of the bacterial strain.

Ozone is also useful for other reasons, there are many other threads if you search the forums.
Spot on thanks for giving great info!

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m thinking of adding a UV sterilizer to my tank soon, have heard great things about it also heard a few people say it’s a waste of money. But I’ve looked into one from BRS and with a DC pump as recommended by someone on here I think it’s good to have. I also spoke to a guy who has been in the hobby for years (he owns a business of setting up tanks and maintaining them around here), retiring sometime this year, who swears by them. So I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think and or suggest. I know the UV kills unwanted parasites, algae, prevents algal blooms. Does it kill the nitrifying or “good”bacteria? Like the bottled bacteria stuff? I have a 200 gallon RedSea system. No corals or inverts, currently tank is running fallow for a couple weeks. In about two weeks I’ll be introducing the fish again along with some new fish which are currently QT in my LFS. I also heard about ozone but really no knowledge on what that is, doesn’t sound very good to have in a tank though.
Also my tank is at 88F fallow right now, would it be ok if I turn off my skimmer and add in fritz turbo start bacteria? I don’t think the temp should affect the bacteria adversely but want to make sure.
Thanks guys for all the input, really helps makings decisions easier. I’m going to wait for my fish to come in and make sure they’re good before I plan buying and installing a UV. My tank is still testing some ammonia, waiting for it to come down.

Gundy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done hours of research on UV sterilizers for my upcoming 300 gallon build and much of what I have learned was on this forum. When buying a quality unit, set up properly and having the proper flow rate, many reefers have controlled massive Ich outbreaks and keep the ick from getting out of hand. I have read numerous stories about how ick had covered all the fish in the tank and after adding a UV and supplemented food with nutrients, the fish recovered with minimal or no loss. Other stories are where fish get an occasional few spots and the spots clear up in a few days. No, it’s probably not gone but controlled and fish seem to get some form of immunity.

I‘m not making any factual claims or stating scientific data, just observation from many reefers. I’m planning on installing a 150 watt pentair UV which is probably about twice the size I need. The flow will be set for Protozoa control and feel that this will keep my tank water looking good plus manage ick.

A lot of people have a lot of different views on UV sterilizers. Perhaps some are misinformed and others biased. For me, the videos, available science and the experiences others have had, convinced me to run UV. Most reefers that run UV swear by them and would never not run one. Just my 2 cents.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have a lot of different views on UV sterilizers. Perhaps some are misinformed and others biased. For me, the videos, available science and the experiences others have had, convinced me to run UV. Most reefers that run UV swear by them and would never not run one. Just my 2 cents.

lol

Or maybe they value different things, but are correctly informed and unbiased???

In the 20 years my tank was up, I only had very had brief ich outbreaks twice. Each time it went away in a week or less, IIRC. I would NOT want to have used a UV for 20 years to try and maybe help speed those 2 outbreaks to faster clearance.

Gundy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I also think a lot of people want to keep things simple or don‘t think they need UV. This is what is so cool about this hobby as there are so many different ways to do things. What works for some might not work for others but proves there are many way to keep a successful reef.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a UV and wouldn't want to on my system.

I want the suspended bacteria to stay alive in the water until either they are removed somehow (say, skimming) or eaten by organisms.

One of the main reasons I used organic carbon (vinegar) was to increase bacteria for filter feeders. I can't see a reason to both kill them and try to increase them at the same time.

Dose more vinegar, that way the bacteria can outcompete the UV :cool:

That way you'll keep the shops selling overpriced Reef Safe vinegar happy.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back