Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you try to achive. For killing parasites and algae a large Uv would be much better choice, much easier to set it up too, while ozone is better for destroying organic molecules and making water very clear. It use much less wattage but is also much more dangerous

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you try to achive. For killing parasites and algae a large Uv would be much better choice, much easier to set it up too, while ozone is better for destroying organic molecules and making water very clear. It use much less wattage but is also much more dangerous
Just water quality in general .

Nutramar Foods

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If water clarity is the goal, ozone is the winner. It will give the “fish swimming in air“ effect. It is highly effective in reducing the tannins in the water.

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. They do different things but work better together. I would consider some of the AquaUV Ozone units that can give you both in one unit.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty the best the Ive seen for water clarity is a fleece roller with 50 micron fleece. After that Id go carbon for removing organics and "color" from the water. If youre still having issues like diatoms or bacterial blooms a UV will work great.

With the above I can see clearly down the length of an 8ft tank.

Ozone is more for nutty people who want diamond levels of clarity or if you are running a large fish only system.

Ill probably end up trying it at some point....

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both is the way to go. I've been running ozone for almost 40 years non-stop. Ozone is amazing if you know how to use and apply it. Whether pumped into a skimmer, using a dedicated reactor, or pumped directly into a display - You can get remarkable results with ozone - when properly applied.

Water clarity is the easy take away of what Ozone is capable of. But I have also used it applied directly into the display tank and watch large angels float through the ozone bubbles knock off flukes and lymphycistis.

Ozone removes tint in the water caused by waste. UV removes tint in the water caused by Algae (when run at the appropriate flow).

Both have the ability to kill 'bad ichy things' in the water column by the bad things coming in contact with either ozone or UV. I think ozone is more efficient at this because the bubbles or foam, naturally create a longer contact time then water running through a big pipe.

With UV you are better to oversize you equipment. With ozone you should NOT oversize your equipment.

You can run as much UV as you want, for as long as you want, and never cause any harm.

Ozone applied without safegaurds - ORP Probe and heavy oxygenation of the water - Will decimate the livestock in your system.

UV has no byproduct.

Ozone if not properly dissipated, can be released into the air. It produces a distinct smell, In large quantities it can create headaches. Ozone is an extremely unstable molecule, it wants to explode. All it needs to do is bump into something and it blows apart. So it's not like ozone just keeps collecting and building up in higher and higher quantites.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME --- If you suck the water out of a UV unit you will drink tank salt water. If you suck the ozone out of an airline your lips and tongue will be numb for an unnervingly long amount of time.

Learn how to use and apply ozone and you will never regret it.

Dave B

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty the best the Ive seen for water clarity is a fleece roller with 50 micron fleece. After that Id go carbon for removing organics and "color" from the water. If youre still having issues like diatoms or bacterial blooms a UV will work great.

With the above I can see clearly down the length of an 8ft tank.

Ozone is more for nutty people who want diamond levels of clarity or if you are running a large fish only system.

Ill probably end up trying it at some point....
Trying it as some point is the reason for this post .
My system is very simple . No controllers , and just a pin style timer for t5’s

AquaCave Logo Banner

Pavo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mats are great devices, and of course it help greatly in tank filtration when you constantly filter water to 50 or so microns. Whoever run filter socks know advantage of not change them constantly with filtering 4x times more finer particicles. Over time as price drop and devices get smaller a more and more people will use it.
But it will not replace ozone or uv, they have their advantage.
You can run ozone without controller, if properly size it, use righ amount of it, on timer etc. But you need to post filter air and water after if, its not hard to set it up but its not for unexperienced begginer either. Also, not all skimmers are suited for it, if small chamber and fast troughflow reaction would be poor, best is to have ozone reactor for it, or large enough skimmer where you can install activated carbon on water output and air holes on skimmer cup. While small and filtered amount is pretty safe a contact with large doses can be very harmful, for tank inhabitans and also for people around tank, ozone is not joke at all and you need to know how to set it up properly. If you do it, then it wil help greatly with water clarity, you will not belive how clear water is. I run activated carbon and purigen media 24/7 and still change in water clarity was noticeable after ozone addition, even with only few hours a day of use (but to be honest, ozone air goes troug dryer into large skimmer column with moderate water flow and air recirculation, so reaction and usage is pretty good).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering of adding either a uv sterilizer or ozone to my 230 gal
Opinions of what’s best ?
Depends what you wish to achieve. I run both with appropriate control and testing equipment.

Ozone can be dangerous and is not something you should add without a specific design and goal in mind.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back