UV Lights on AI Prime 16HD during algae bloom

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a minor algae bloom and have some slightly cloudy water. I see plenty of people recommending a UV stabilizer so I'm considering picking one up. I run dual AI Prime 16HDs and I've already turned off the white/green/reds until it clears up, but it got me thinking..... if I cranked up the UV channel on these, would it be anywhere near as effective as a dedicated UV sterilizer?

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warm Heat Wave GIF by Barstool Sports

Us Prime users looking at our tanks when our UV suddenly cranks to 100%

Different UV OP, grab a sterilizer if you need the cleansing sort.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the prime UV is totally different then the bulb in a UV sterilizer. In my opinion focus more on the white channel and don't screw around with the green or the red. Despite what some say about turning the green and the red channels off isn't beneficial since the coral needs spectrum and the green and red is part of the spectrum. My advice would be just to lower the white channel down for now.

How long is your lighting schedule? I run 12 hours total and I can see not so much the water getting cloudy near the end the lighting period but the water isn't crystal clear. It's algae starting to move around in the water column. And yes a UV sterilizer will definitely help avoid that issue. Also adding more pods to the tank and also dosing live phytoplankton will help a lot too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back