Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what refill filaments do you use? reef safe ones?

There is plenty of argument of reef safe or not.

I just use whatever I want. 3 years some of the parts have been underwater and nothing has happened yet.

I mainly use fulament, polymaker polylite and print bed brands. I have also tried and liked, american filament and printed solid but they both take forever to ship. The funny thing is AF is local and no longer lets me pick up.

I have been give probably a hundred rolls of dozens of brands to test. Most of it, goes right in the trash after a few tests. So, if I keep it, it's pretty darn good.

Top Shelf Aquatics

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 13 different printers before I settled (as if!) on what I have. I will add a resin printer soon and ultimately, a prusa but, that is just too expensive for me at the moment with everything going on.

Last edited:

A Young reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is plenty of argument of reef safe or not.

I just use whatever I want. 3 years some of the parts have been underwater and nothing has happened yet.

I mainly use fulament, polymaker polylite and print bed brands. I have also tried and liked, american filament and printed solid but they both take forever to ship. The funny thing is AF is local and no longer lets me pick up.

I have been give probably a hundred rolls of dozens of brands to test. Most of it, goes right in the trash after a few tests. So, if I keep it, it's pretty darn good.
Thank you!

vahegan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that some heat will be produced but not at all like a 100w heater. Most of the power will be causing the kinetic movement of the rotor. A heater is taking the energy and focusing on turning it into heat. I wouldn’t be concerned about the small amount of heat coming from this water mover even in a much smaller tank except for extreme circumstances like very hot weather with no aircon. 800gal is a huge tank there won’t be a temp difference from this pump.
Even that part of the electric energy supplied to the motor, that was converted to mechanical (kinetic) energy of the moving water, will eventually be converted into heat as the wave gradually dies out. According to the energy conservation law, and because it cannot be converted into other forms of energy. Like, for example, if you shoot a bullet at a wall, all its kinetic energy will be converted onto heat when it stops (providing that the wall won't move). So yes, the heat generation will be same as 94w heater. Only, the heater converts the whole of supplied electric energy into heat, and the motor converts part of this energy directly to heat, and part of it into mechanical energy, which is then converted to heat. But yes, I would agree that 100W heater will have a small contribution to the temperature increase in a 800gal tank. It may be essential for smaller tanks, though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jase4224

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enders are great if your into DIY(it has to be put together). It really isn't that hard to put together, but some people just can't do DIY. Just somehting that should be said of the enders. Some people can't even use a screwdriver, so this kit would not be for them.

Love my ender3, and yes that is the one he speaks of. They are great beginners printers.
I’m new to DIY and wandering if there are screwdrivers made for left handed people?

Jase4224

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even that part of the electric energy supplied to the motor, that was converted to mechanical (kinetic) energy of the moving water, will eventually be converted into heat as the wave gradually dies out. According to the energy conservation law, and because it cannot be converted into other forms of energy. Like, for example, if you shoot a bullet at a wall, all its kinetic energy will be converted onto heat when it stops (providing that the wall won't move). So yes, the heat generation will be same as 94w heater. Only, the heater converts the whole of supplied electric energy into heat, and the motor converts part of this energy directly to heat, and part of it into mechanical energy, which is then converted to heat. But yes, I would agree that 100W heater will have a small contribution to the temperature increase in a 800gal tank. It may be essential for smaller tanks, though.
Ok so if I get two 40gal tanks and put them outside in the cold, one with a 100w heater and the other with the 100w flow pump which one will keep the water warm? Even if we seal them with lids to nullify the water surface agitation the one with the flow pump will still go cold. The heat produced but the friction of water movement will be negligible and some heat will come from the electric motor but the tank with the heater will stay warmer by far. It’s not the same thing. Perhaps I’m miss understanding you and I’m not trying to be rude just thinking out loud.

jeffww

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I get two 40gal tanks and put them outside in the cold, one with a 100w heater and the other with the 100w flow pump which one will keep the water warm? Even if we seal them with lids to nullify the water surface agitation the one with the flow pump will still go cold. The heat produced but the friction of water movement will be negligible and some heat will come from the electric motor but the tank with the heater will stay warmer by far. It’s not the same thing. Perhaps I’m miss understanding you and I’m not trying to be rude just thinking out loud.
Conservation of energy would suggest that they would get equally warm. Shear dissipation will turn any flow generated into heat. So if a 100w wavemaker makes 10w of energy into water movement it will become 10w of heating eventually. The remainder 90w is also heat as losses. The reason this isn’t noticeable is because even the largest pumps in our hobby aren’t more than 50w. Theres probably some complicated statics problem where some is disippated into the ground but I think that’s an edge case.

Anyway, how is the noise on this? Also this pump seems similar at least superficially:https://www.aquacave.com/abyzz-afc1...9DdsZntpc1b_jIYY0PsTedL81AGe97DsaAt-hEALw_wcB

Top Shelf Aquatics

neonreef3d

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had 13 different printers before I settled (as if!) on what I have. I will add a resin printer soon and ultimately, a prusa but, that is just too expensive for me at the moment with everything going on.
The prusa printers are worth every penny, and they are a workhorse. I have prusa, and I have to say, they are very nice, and the print quality is amazing for an FDM printer.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was something that no one has thought of but look; Hefty price though.

9353CADB-19B4-43FD-AFC9-81D307A88A09.png

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to DIY and wandering if there are screwdrivers made for left handed people?

Here you go,just for left handed people ,a left handed conversion kit ^_^

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ying yang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it :) I was waiting to get flamed lol
No flames from me,life to short to get angry over the smallest things.
Live life and be happy as can be,no matter the situation is My motto.
Can't always achieve it but try my best ^_^

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was something that no one has thought of but look; Hefty price though.

View attachment 2664245
they use thruster but sure what kind, Techadyne company based out of california makes thrusters that can be made out of 316 steel or titanium with poly or stainless steel propellers, I am not sure the cost, these motors can be driven with 12v or higher volts,

Nutramar Foods

Rawsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was addressed in a previous post, but based on the video example that was posted with the thruster running in the tank it was pretty loud no? Or maybe I'm missing something?
Was thinking the same thing. Still a pretty awesome idea

Rockit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting project.....
I use these all the time on our ROV at work. They do move a ton of water and are fairly reliable. Super easy to maintain. We run ours extremely hard.... heavy silt, plant matter, fishing tackle.... diapers and tampons .... TONS of trash in our rivers. Disassembly only takes a few minutes (after I get it out of the dang ROV), clean out the crap and they're GTG.

The concerns over noise I believe are unfounded. I've been diving with the ROV and don't recall any thruster sound more than a couple feet away.

CLICK TO VIEW

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my younger days i had a coral grow out basement , all the water movment came from electric trolling motors made for salt water. cheaper than mp60s many times the flow, if your tanks big enough its a very cost effective way to move alot of water.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone else already suggested this and I misses it but I got an improvement idea.

Instead of a cage, print out a random flow generator that can snap on or otherwise attach to this. Then you will not only have flow, but random flow! Also could a hydros wave engine be used as a controller for this? That would allow scheduling.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back