Upgrading tanks - what's one thing you wish you would have done differently?

BRS

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey friends -
Currently running a RedSea Reefer 55 gallon DT and upgrading (as of right now) to a Waterbox 130.4.

What's one thing you wish you could have done differently when upgrading? Tank plumbing, aqua-scape, anything if you had the chance! Honestly curious before I make the switch.

I may go from socks to reefmat 500 but curious if there are other tips out there.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Montiman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 750 XXL. I would never get an open-top tank again. Every time someone sits on the couch and gets blinded by the lights or my fish splash on the front glass I am reminded of how next time I will get a traditional canopy.

World Wide Corals
CLICK TO VIEW

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things that have kept me from NOT going with a filter roller. Not if but when it breaks you need to have a backup plan. Once you modify your sump for it there is no emergency plan B if it fails unless you're willing to buy 2. They can sometimes smell bad due to the dirty end of the roll sitting in your stand for weeks. If a doser breaks you can dose by hand until there's a fix. You can get by without a skimmer for a bit if it fails. You can go without a wavemaker if it fails. You should always have a backup return pump of some kind. But if a filter roller fails and you've cut your baffles out so that it fits that's a problem.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mjszos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Chicago? I'm in Logan. Any local groups you're a part of? Love to learn more especially locally.

Just the Facebook groups. I’m in the burbs now, didn’t have any luck finding local meetups unfortunately.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AS

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 750 XXL. I would never get an open-top tank again. Every time someone sits on the couch and gets blinded by the lights or my fish splash on the front glass I am reminded of how next time I will get a traditional canopy.
3D printed Light-shades from @chemisfun11 ! Totally changes viewing experience!

5D3CA515-CC5E-47BA-BEFD-C0A3A1E5D8A4.jpeg

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things that have kept me from NOT going with a filter roller. Not if but when it breaks you need to have a backup plan. Once you modify your sump for it there is no emergency plan B if it fails unless you're willing to buy 2. They can sometimes smell bad due to the dirty end of the roll sitting in your stand for weeks. If a doser breaks you can dose by hand until there's a fix. You can get by without a skimmer for a bit if it fails. You can go without a wavemaker if it fails. You should always have a backup return pump of some kind. But if a filter roller fails and you've cut your baffles out so that it fits that's a problem.
You can just roll it by hand until you got a replacement motor. It takes the same energy as changing filter socks. I did it with my Clarisea. DD sent me a new motor.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends -
Currently running a RedSea Reefer 55 gallon DT and upgrading (as of right now) to a Waterbox 130.4.

What's one thing you wish you could have done differently when upgrading? Tank plumbing, aqua-scape, anything if you had the chance! Honestly curious before I make the switch.

I may go from socks to reefmat 500 but curious if there are other tips out there.
Forget filter socks and roller mats. Use these cheap 3D printer filter cups. Change out a small piece of filter floss every week. Cheap and easy.

1D585D3C-67E4-45A8-B327-B55679C371B0.jpeg

Last edited:

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- If you use someone else’s rocks, always just cure them again. I have a feeling some of the issues I faced were from the original rock.

2-I’d have gone with a 5-6’ tank instead of 4’ but didn’t have the space on the wall I wanted to use not the inclination to carry a 6’ tank into the basement.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back