Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang that seems to have an isopod attached to it. What would you recommend for treatment? Is it dangerous?

IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1080.jpg

We removed the beast with tweezers. It took some fin with it. Fish seems OK for the ordeal. Here are some pics
IMG_1087.jpg IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited:
BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it... You can remove but keep an eye out for bacteria infection of the location your removed from. @Humblefish That has to be a Flabellifera isopod correct?

Looks that way. Hopefully it's a male, so its the one & only.. The females can carry eggs. :eek:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He would be able to see that when he removes the Isopod correct? I cant remember if this type of Isopod carries her eggs inside or on the back 2 Uropods (i think they are called... Their Butts)

In mature females, some or all of the limbs have appendages known as oostegites which fold underneath the thorax and form a brood chamber for the eggs. Would need a magnifying glass to tell for sure. I think most smart phones have one built-in nowadays.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In mature females, some or all of the limbs have appendages known as oostegites which fold underneath the thorax and form a brood chamber for the eggs. Would need a magnifying glass to tell for sure. I think most smart phones have one built-in nowadays.
I will post pictures. Can someone tell me if female? I'm hoping not.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it... You can remove but keep an eye out for bacteria infection of the location your removed from. @Humblefish That has to be a Flabellifera isopod correct?
No idea, but thanks for the identification. I have posted pictures of the beast we removed.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back