Up grading my 40g acrylic fish reef tank to 90g or larger. question what is better for cleaning purposes 48"w x 24"d x 20"h or 24"h ?

Charles Hillary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10years i'm up grading my 40gal. acrylic fish reef tank to 90gal. or 125gal.
1. Question what is better for cleaning purposes 48"w x 24"d x 20"h or 24"h ?
2. The age old question acrylic or glass?
3. Does the fire glass get close to the look of acrylic?
4. Do you ever need to reseal glass?

IMG_20220603_111056 (1).jpg PXL_20230421_055453150 (2).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow tanks are easier to reach the bottom. If you are tall yourself it might not be as difficult but most gloves are only 24”?or shorter and will easily flood reaching across a deep tank.

You have not had a seam break with acrylic but if you get a glass tank you may be able to have a seal leak. That is when you will need to reseal the glass tank. Keep your current acrylic tank on hand for that day so you have a place to store rocks fish and corals while you’re resealing the tank, or get acrylic and don’t worry about it.

I hope that is clear?

OP
OP
Charles Hillary

Charles Hillary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow tanks are easier to reach the bottom. If you are tall yourself it might not be as difficult but most gloves are only 24”?or shorter and will easily flood reaching across a deep tank.

You have not had a seam break with acrylic but if you get a glass tank you may be able to have a seal leak. That is when you will need to reseal the glass tank. Keep your current acrylic tank on hand for that day so you have a place to store rocks fish and corals while you’re resealing the tank, or get acrylic and don’t worry about it.

I hope that is clear?
Thanks Kris

This is my first ever forum seems really cool. Please let me know if i do something wrong.

I have a 20" high tank right now. I was thinking of going 24" high but I do like easy cleaning so maybe stick with 20".

1. What would be your take on rock formation. Should i leave enough room to clean all around the acrylic tank or put rocks all the way on the back glass?
2. How high from the top either way?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back