Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running for 7 years now, I am not sure how to introduce algae into the tank, I have only been running corals in for 2 months now, it usually is a clown tank. 2 at the most.
OK thanks.

Sounds like the introduction of coral has also introduced algae. Great!

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan_P Ok I understand what you mean by introducing phosphate, about a month ago I cleaned the interior glass because it was covered in algae, I did a bunch of WC but that must have been the spike, since then no algae on the glass, so it must be suspended.
So it will be a process hopefully slow and steady, but at least I NOW have a starting point.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on your dilution water if you used the new saltwater that you said "New SW mix. 0.23" you need to use that in your math.

I might have misunderstood something so if so ignore the question.
I tested my DT water, the new SW mix and the RO/DI, they all have phosphate in them, I have added to a 7 stage RO/DI and going with BRS Pro version, so all filters new from the last 3 months.

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was going to say, lol.
This will tell you if the unit is working properly. They sell vials that will test the checker to see if its working and in range.
View attachment 3019512
That's the wrong reference sample for his meter, and it will only tell you if the meter is good - it won't tell you if the reagent is.

He needs HI774-11

Water changes don't appreciably affect phosphate levels, unless you're doing a TON of them (like 100%, every day). The vast majority of phosphate is bound to aragonite surfaces, and just gets released when you do a water change.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92Miata, I tried using a very little Rowa Phos and it is a PITA to use, so I will use Chemi-Pure Elite, I need to figure out the correct amount, I used 1.75 ounces or
.49 gram, the nano pooches are 22g each so I will try that amount, I have been using chemo_pure blue nano.

Top Shelf Aquatics

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92Miata, I tried using a very little Rowa Phos and it is a PITA to use, so I will use Chemi-Pure Elite, I need to figure out the correct amount, I used 1.75 ounces or
.49 gram, the nano pooches are 22g each so I will try that amount, I have been using chemo_pure blue nano.
Rowa is a pain, IMO. It's really aggressive and tough to control. My usual method of going after phosphates is carbon and nitrogen dosing and just letting it slowly come down. My tanks are always lots of flow and a big skimmer though - so if phosphates are high, it's usually because something (nitrogen, carbon) else is limiting.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the correct reagents and they are brand new.
7 gallon tank so I cannot get skimmer in there and carbon dosing probably would be difficult, I simply have live rock and a Fluval Aqua Clear, I did re arrange the filter floss and Chemo- pure blue nano so the water has to flow through it.
Once I figure out the correct amount I will use Chema-pure Elite. Probably around 22 grams to start.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

TCK Corals
Back