Unknown disease

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an outbreak of Ich in my display tank, I took all the livestock out, treated them with copper, bleached the tank and restarted.

Two weeks ago I added back the only remaining fish I had left. I observed them in a non-medicated tank after to ensure they were disease-free.

Last week I brought home a new fish that I purchased from a quarantined vendor and after observation for a few days, added him to the main tank. He did not show signs of disease then, but now is showing signs of something and I’m not sure what. I see some white spots but also some other white markings I’m not sure about.
IMG_6614.jpeg

IMG_6616.jpeg

IMG_6622.jpeg

None of the other fish have any visible disease. What is wrong with this angelfish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
After an outbreak of Ich in my display tank, I took all the livestock out, treated them with copper, bleached the tank and restarted.

Two weeks ago I added back the only remaining fish I had left. I observed them in a non-medicated tank after to ensure they were disease-free.

Last week I brought home a new fish that I purchased from a quarantined vendor and after observation for a few days, added him to the main tank. He did not show signs of disease then, but now is showing signs of something and I’m not sure what. I see some white spots but also some other white markings I’m not sure about.
IMG_6614.jpeg

IMG_6616.jpeg

IMG_6622.jpeg

None of the other fish have any visible disease. What is wrong with this angelfish?
Im seeing both lymphocystis and a skin irritation which may have started with flukes or similar. Have you noticed rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects?

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im seeing both lymphocystis and a skin irritation which may have started with flukes or similar. Have you noticed rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects?
No rapid breathing or loss of appetite. No shaking or scratching. He does tend to stay at the bottom and sometimes in the corners.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Him now in the corner, lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No rapid breathing or loss of appetite. No shaking or scratching. He does tend to stay at the bottom and sometimes in the corners.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Him now in the corner, lol
These pics just helped. I see what looks like mucus cones which may have stemmed from skin issue and may be mixed in with ich. I recommend quarantining in a separate tank and treating with Coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 treatment level for 30 days and following with Prazi pro for two 8 day treatments

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics just helped. I see what looks like mucus cones which may have stemmed from skin issue and may be mixed in with ich. I recommend quarantining in a separate tank and treating with Coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 treatment level for 30 days and following with Prazi pro for two 8 day treatments
I purchased from a QT vendor and just re-setup my tank that I had to bleach following an ich outbreak that killed. I don’t want to do this all AGAIN I CAN’T keep doing this. I literally took so many precautionary measures to keep this tank disease free. Nobody gained entry until QT and observation was complete. I can’t accept it’s back…

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I purchased from a QT vendor and just re-setup my tank that I had to bleach following an ich outbreak that killed. I don’t want to do this all AGAIN I CAN’T keep doing this. I literally took so many precautionary measures to keep this tank disease free. Nobody gained entry until QT and observation was complete. I can’t accept it’s back…
As stated, cones POSSINLY mixed in with ich.
Lets get a second assessment - @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, cones POSSINLY mixed in with ich.
Lets get a second assessment - @Jay Hemdal
I’ve never dealt with lymph, but it does sound like that’s a possibility. What I don’t know is how it spreads and if it means I only need to treat the one fish or if I have to take everybody out and treat everybody.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’ve never dealt with lymph, but it does sound like that’s a possibility. What I don’t know is how it spreads and if it means I only need to treat the one fish or if I have to take everybody out and treat everybody.
You may find this confined to one fish only. With lympho, it is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS fish or Herbivore frenzy, plankton, hikari angel formula and mysis shrimp.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those lesions look like Lymphocystis, but they are a lot of them and they are really diffuse. Lymphocystis tends to grow larger and there are fewer of the nodules at the start. They also tend to be on the fins, not the body….so I’m worried something else could be going on.

Do you know the quarantine process this vendor used?

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those lesions look like Lymphocystis, but they are a lot of them and they are really diffuse. Lymphocystis tends to grow larger and there are fewer of the nodules at the start. They also tend to be on the fins, not the body….so I’m worried something else could be going on.

Do you know the quarantine process this vendor used?
IMG_6646.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes - that process they use is just as good as the system that we suggest here. No quarantine process is 100% effective, but their method takes out about 80% of the common disease issues, as does our method. I do wish they would use copper for 30 days instead of two weeks, but they need to move fish out to customers, and the other treatments that they employ after the copper helps to give time to show any relapse.

The angel looks better to me now. Does it look better to you?

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that process they use is just as good as the system that we suggest here. No quarantine process is 100% effective, but their method takes out about 80% of the common disease issues, as does our method. I do wish they would use copper for 30 days instead of two weeks, but they need to move fish out to customers, and the other treatments that they employ after the copper helps to give time to show any relapse.

The angel looks better to me now. Does it look better to you?

Yeah, I no longer see the “peeling” skin so much. I’m still concerned about the spots all over. What do you feel those are?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I no longer see the “peeling” skin so much. I’m still concerned about the spots all over. What do you feel those are?
I can’t rule out ich here, so just observe it for now and perhaps prepare for that as being a worse case scenario….emperors are prone to developing mucus skin lesions that don’t require any treatment though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the spots DON’T spread to the other fish and they continue to stay on the angle, is that a good sign it is NOT ich?
Yes! Marine ich will spread to other fish within a week typically.

SharonRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6614.jpeg

IMG_6616.jpeg

IMG_6622.jpeg

May be marine velvet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be marine velvet.
Velvet doesn't cause large spots like this - that disease has the first symptoms of rapid breathing, hanging in the water currents and not eating.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a precaution, I have removed the angelfish from the display tank, gave it a five minute freshwater dip, it is currently in a Ruby Reef Rally bath, and will be placed in a brand new QT when it’s finished. At least this way, I can better observe him. I purchased Vita-chem to soak in his food and I purchased some formalin which will arrive tomorrow. Don’t know if I need to use that right now, but not something I typically carry so figured I would get a bottle just in case.
image.jpg

image.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back