Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is that sometimes those plugs bring in nasties like some types of algae.
I never leave them on anymore.
Then you remove the whole plug, not the stem.
And I don't think that was the reason OP attempted to remove it in the first place.

Also, IMO algae isn't what anyone should be afraid of introducing, it'll get there anyway if it isn't there already.
Only reason to be afraid of plugs are pests, which can be examined using a magnifying glass and proper treatment - though obviously, when in doubt you always need to remount.

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound unbelievable....

The diamond cut off disc didn't work. It started to heat up the plug to the point where the zoas started to melt, so I stopped. I have cutting pliers at home, didn't work. Bought the BRS cutter, no bueno. At this point, not sure what to do

Is it a ORA frag plug? Those are the worst.

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not if the frag is encrusted on the plug - you just want to lose the stem :)

I see your point regarding pests, you need to check for them regardless.
Honestly, with acros I don't even take the slightest chance to get AEFW eggs and just toss the encrusting part away ‍♂️

But algae isn't a concern at all, wether it's on the plug itself and moreover if it's on the stem which you'll be gluing anyway. If you think you're keeping new algae species away from your tank than think about all the fish you're bringing back home, that once they empty their stomaches will inevitably introduce new strains.
Or pretty much any LPS that has some skeleton exposed (Candy, Torches, favia, etc) that has algae over their skeleton, even if its a tiny bit and invisible to the naked eye.
I simply don't see the point of being afraid of algae.

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If worst comes to worst and you don't want to get cheap diamond blades, put a clean rag on the floor, put a bone cutte on it so one handle faces down and the other up, put the stem between the blades, fold the rag over the frag, and step on the cutter handle with your whole bodyweight.

Dont do this with delicate bottle brush acros obviously, but works great with zoas, hardy lps, softies, etc

Top Shelf Aquatics

JPM San Diego

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know T shaped frag plugs are very popular so they can go easily and securely into frag racks.
However, for a hobbiest like me, I would never use them. They're ugly and require the transfer of the frag to another surface, unless one is willing to tolerate an ugly plug glued onto the side of their rock work.
For the limited frags that I generate and either sell or give away, I much prefer real reef rock.

Here is a link to the item on BRS - I am sure there are other sellers too.

I am sorry this picture is so blue. My Hydra 26 over the plug lost it connection to the "parent" light and refused to turn to white lights. The attached coral is a little frag off my Setosa. Once it begins to grow it will never need to be removed.
The small frag rock can simply be glued to the rock work.
Hidden behind it is a store bought coral on a standard plug.
I recently moved the zoanthids - with trepidation - to one of my frag rocks.

IMG_5016.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know T shaped frag plugs are very popular so they can go easily and securely into frag racks.
However, for a hobbiest like me, I would never use them. They're ugly and require the transfer of the frag to another surface, unless one is willing to tolerate an ugly plug glued onto the side of their rock work.
For the limited frags that I generate and either sell or give away, I much prefer real reef rock.
Nice idea, but the price seems outrageous for a bucket of rubble

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea, but the price seems outrageous for a bucket of rubble

I agree, that price is meh.

A person could just buy cheap dry rock and take a hammer to it.

Also there are ways to make DIY plugs with sand and cement.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If worst comes to worst and you don't want to get cheap diamond blades, put a clean rag on the floor, put a bone cutte on it so one handle faces down and the other up, put the stem between the blades, fold the rag over the frag, and step on the cutter handle with your whole bodyweight.

Dont do this with delicate bottle brush acros obviously, but works great with zoas, hardy lps, softies, etc
Have you done this?

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done this?
Yes, bunch of times. I try to lean on it with my arm first though, stepping on it is kinda a last resort

Also hammer and quite sharp chisel to get glued on stonies like leptastrea, thicker montis and robust acros, off the plugs entirely, which worked surprisingly well. The rag is necessary so they land softly

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, bunch of times. I try to lean on it with my arm first though, stepping on it is kinda a last resort

Also hammer and quite sharp chisel to get glued on stonies like leptastrea, thicker montis and robust acros, off the plugs entirely, which worked surprisingly well. The rag is necessary so they land softly
OK, wasn't sure if you were pulling my leg! I'll give this a try

Nutramar Foods

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did, almost passed out :p

Looks similar to ORA plugs. I hate them so much I will even avoid buying any coral on one.

They are not ceramic, they are made from PURE FLIPPING EVIL

That one actually may be ceramic though... since you could actually snap it off in the end...

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had success by holding the Disk with a Pair of Pliers, scoring the the Stem with a Razor Knife, all the way around. Socket, “pick one that fits snugly over the stem,” with an Extension. Snap it off. I‘ve leveled the back of a Dry Disk with a File type Wood Rasp. Haven’t tried this leveling with wet disk.

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound unbelievable....

The diamond cut off disc didn't work. It started to heat up the plug to the point where the zoas started to melt, so I stopped. I have cutting pliers at home, didn't work. Bought the BRS cutter, no bueno. At this point, not sure what to do
I place my frag plug upside down in a vice and use an angle grinder with a nice diamond blade. It works like a charm in seconds. I was worried that it would get too hot, but it cut through before it had the chance to heat up. I doubt I'll go back to trimming the plug any other way, but do not attempt this unless you are good with an angle grinder.

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my frag plug upside down in a vice and use an angle grinder with a nice diamond blade. It works like a charm in seconds. I was worried that it would get too hot, but it cut through before it had the chance to heat up. I doubt I'll go back to trimming the plug any other way, but do not attempt this unless you are good with an angle grinder.
I have tried the vice with other plugs, and I need to get better at finding the sweet spot between enough pressure to hold the plug in place while enduring the vibrations from the tool vs. too much vice pressure and popping the frag itself off the plug (I popped off an acro frag...my heart sank o_O but is doing fine now :face-savoring-food: ).

I could give it another shot, as I do use an angle grinder. I'd have to buy a diamond cut off blade though

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the vice with other plugs, and I need to get better at finding the sweet spot between enough pressure to hold the plug in place while enduring the vibrations from the tool vs. too much vice pressure and popping the frag itself off the plug (I popped off an acro frag...my heart sank o_O but is doing fine now :face-savoring-food: ).

I could give it another shot, as I do use an angle grinder. I'd have to buy a diamond cut off blade though
You can line the jaws of your vice with leather strips. That might help with finding the sweet spot.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back