Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble removing the stems off frag plugs. I've tried bone cutters and a dremel. Any tips on how to remove the stem? They are zoas so I'm a bit hesitant on removing the zoas and gluing them onto a new plug.

JTP424

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with bone cutters, picked up these, they seem to do pretty well.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue with bone cutters, picked up these, they seem to do pretty well.
I too, have used these with success. I have some purple (forget the name) frag plugs that are a PITA to cut with anything else. Wish I had purchased a band saw in the beginning.

BRS

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is one brand of frag plug, I just cannot cut. Or I have to spend so much force with both hands that it causes the frag to fly across the room.

1674076654601.png

They look similar to these, very rounded. I absolutely hate getting frags that come in with those. Really messed up a hammer having to remove it from the plug since I couldnt snip it off

Nutramar Foods

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the wire cutter portion of these. . .

TCK Corals

Flash Frag Frenzy Sale This Monday
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is one brand of frag plug, I just cannot cut. Or I have to spend so much force with both hands that it causes the frag to fly across the room.

View attachment 2980766

They look similar to these, very rounded. I absolutely hate getting frags that come in with those. Really messed up a hammer having to remove it from the plug since I couldnt snip it off
For these you’ll want to use a frag saw to safely remove the stem. From an aquaculture standpoint these types of plugs and tiles provide a nice surface for corals to encrust and grow onto but at the cost of not being able to snap the peg off

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting pliers works fine on those too. My complaint with those black plugs is the little dip in the middle which is a pain when I want to remount on a normal flat plug. I have to trim the point of superglue down flat.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For these you’ll want to use a frag saw to safely remove the stem. From an aquaculture standpoint these types of plugs and tiles provide a nice surface for corals to encrust and grow onto but at the cost of not being able to snap the peg off
Got it, I was thinking I was the only one lol. I guess Ill just remove the coral off the plug next time I receive these

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the wire cutter portion of these. . .

I also use a old set of lineman pliers or a harbor freight combo wire stripper/cutter tool.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound unbelievable....

The diamond cut off disc didn't work. It started to heat up the plug to the point where the zoas started to melt, so I stopped. I have cutting pliers at home, didn't work. Bought the BRS cutter, no bueno. At this point, not sure what to do

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come no one suggested to simply leave it alone?

Most of the times I either remount the frag or remove the stem, however sometimes I also take a small rock, drill a hole in it and stick it right in, or otherwise find a matching hole to glue right onto the rock work.

You don't have to remove it, sometimes it doesn't worth the effort or the risk of hurting the frag, and in other times the stem can actually be useful.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come no one suggested to simply leave it alone?

Most of the times I either remount the frag or remove the stem, however sometimes I also take a small rock, drill a hole in it and stick it right in, or otherwise find a matching hole to glue right onto the rock work.

You don't have to remove it, sometimes it doesn't worth the effort or the risk of hurting the frag, and in other times the stem can actually be useful.
Problem is that sometimes those plugs bring in nasties like some types of algae.
I never leave them on anymore.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back