Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60g and sump with refugium. Its been setup since November 2022. I took the fast route of adding bottle bac to cycle and as soon as it was cycled, I added refugium, lots of copepods and cleanup crew. Added Phyto on a daily basis. My ugly phase was minimal. I had some diatoms for a few days and it was done. I added a few turbo snail and it had some GHA on it and it spread everywhere. I added Brightwell MB clean for 2 weeks and it disappeared. Ever since the tank has 0 phosphate and nitrate. My refugium is doing well.

Since I read everywhere that 0 Nitrate and Phosphate can lead to dino, I added some Nitrate and phosphate but as soon as I added this, GHA took over again. So I stopped and waited a few weeks and it went away. I added this 3 other times and all three times, GHA came back. What can I do different to avoid getting dino. Nitrates and Phosphates been 0 since January. What I am unable to understand is, why is GHA going away on its own even though chaeto is doing well in sump and also why is it that I haven't had a dino issue even though my nitrates and phosphates been 0 for the last 4 months.

Tank parameters

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0(Redsea)
Phosphate 0(Hanna LR)

Calcium 430
Alkalinity 10dkh
Magnesium 1380
Salinity 1.025
ph 7.8 - 8.1

Last water change - 01/29/2023

Top Shelf Aquatics

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I read everywhere that 0 Nitrate and Phosphate can lead to dino, I added some Nitrate and phosphate but as soon as I added this, GHA took over again. So I stopped and waited a few weeks and it went away. I added this 3 other times and all three times, GHA came back. What can I do different to avoid getting dino. Nitrates and Phosphates been 0 since January. What I am unable to understand is, why is GHA going away on its own even though chaeto is doing well in sump and also why is it that I haven't had a dino issue even though my nitrates and phosphates been 0 for the last 4 months.
I love this line of questioning:
Why is everything in my tank nice when it's supposed to be difficult? Why don't I have all of the plagues I was assured would get me? :p
Plenty of people have healthy happy tanks with no issues and very low PO4 and NO3. If you have good results at low NO3/PO4, then go with what is working.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this line of questioning:
Why is everything in my tank nice when it's supposed to be difficult? Why don't I have all of the plagues I was assured would get me? :p
Plenty of people have healthy happy tanks with no issues and very low PO4 and NO3. If you have good results at low NO3/PO4, then go with what is working.
LOL!! I am glad I do not have any major issues. I am trying to figure out if I should try to dose Nitrates and Phosphates again even if it stays 0? I have around 12 frags of Zoa's in the tank. They are all doing well too except one that melted after 4 weeks of introducing it into the tank. Again I was told these needs nitrates to survive. I am about to add 3 Euphyllias and a Goni. Wanted to make sure I dont kill them with zero nitrate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish and they are well-fed then you may find added nutrients unnecessary.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish and they are well-fed then you may find added nutrients unnecessary.
Yes I do and I feed them a lot. I also feed reefroids to the Zoas. I guess I will deal with dino if it happens. Until then no dosing of Nitrate or phosphate. Thank you so much.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back