+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have recently set up an Ultra Reef UKS-200 (DC version) in my Cade sump. It’s an excellent piece of gear, but I so have a recurring issue wherein the little air inlet hole in the air silencer is getting clogged by salt buildup. This causes a rattling noise once it becomes completely clogged, as well as some adjustment issues.

Water level is currently 10”, but I’m lowering it to 9” to see if that helps.

In the past week or two, I have 4 automatic feed cycles during the day, and I had programmed the skimmer to run at 4% or so while the return pump is off. I’ve recently changed that to have the apex just shut off power to the skimmer and time the return pump is off, with a 5 minute defer time of course.

I wonder what I’m doing wrong to cause this. Any suggestions?

BRS
AquaCave Logo Banner

Kodski

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, the salt buildup is coming from something else in your sump. If others do not have the same issue with the same skimmer, that points to something else aside from the design. Water level may be one aspect, I see the skimmer can run in 8-10 inches of water so I'll say that may help but not eliminate the issue. Likely there is water spray from something else in your sump causing the issue. Either from the overflow piping, another piece of equipment, or even bubbles in the water rising to the surface can create salt spray. Try orientating the skimmer in a different direction and see if that helps.

If all else fails, I'd simply tap and add a nylon hose barb to the inlet hole. Then run a piece of tubing away from the sump. That should eliminate the possibility of clogging.

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.
Its definitely not spray from anything.

maybe it was the way I had the skimmer pump at 4% during feed cycles that would somehow get saltwater into the air silencer?

move changed that idea to now just kill the skimmer power completely during feed cycles, and any other time the return pump kicks off.
I suppose we shall see if things improve.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back