Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy your thread, awesome tanks you have.
Thank you and welcome to the Deep Blue Sea... About the awesome tanks, you should see Maui's tank. It needs a lawnmower for all the GHA in there, but I'm not running any GFO or other types of filtration on that tank aside from a filter pad for the sole purpose of growing algae. I have an urchin to feed and Maui doesn't mind the extra foliage. Might need to clean the frag rack off tho. I think the mushrooms and acans would appreciate that.

The caulastrea trumpet coral is looking WAY better since I changed the light to wide open... Really an eye opener to all my past struggles with that tank, and the Kessils. I thought when the corals were receding they were getting too much light. Exact opposite, not enough. The tissue is starting to fluff back up and get all squishy bouncy, like we like. It's probably going back over to the 35 soon, because squishy bouncy LPS obsession. That and fuzzy fluffy SPS.

Second Shot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caulastrea trumpet coral is looking WAY better since I changed the light to wide open... Really an eye opener to all my past struggles with that tank, and the Kessils. I thought when the corals were receding they were getting too much light. Exact opposite, not enough. The tissue is starting to fluff back up and get all squishy bouncy, like we like. It's probably going back over to the 35 soon, because squishy bouncy LPS obsession. That and fuzzy fluffy SPS.

Now if you would have just listened to me back in January [emoji12]

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12, I measured and where I keep my tank in the living room is exactly 58" wide... the step on the left and the mantle on the right kinda screws me. Its about 65" without those two. I think I'm going to stick with the 90g. That'll leave room where it's far enough away from the fire place and you can still see the sides. Stuff it with some flasher and fairy wrasse. Oh and lots of squishy bouncy LPS and fuzzy fluffy SPS. ;);Turtle

20171204_125550.jpg

(old pic)

Alk is 8.4dKH tonight,(new test reagent for the Hanna, could be difference in test or the alk actually went up...) water is crystal, rocks and sand are cyano. Frags on the rack doing well, all of them still have skin. Tissue loss seems to have stopped or slowed on the green stag looking acro. The bonsai looks horrible. One of my acans was severely receded and looked to have a bacterial infection going on... I removed that frag from the tank in case it could have possibly spread to the other two frags. Both of them are looking great and popping up new heads.

Last edited:

Second Shot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you say back in January? That was forever ago... I'm guessing you told me I needed more light?

Yeah I just said that I had the same issue in my tank. I kept thinking it was too much light and it turns out things were fading because of too little light.
I was beating myself up because my old tank was so successful and this one was killing me. Finally bought a seneye meter and realized how low my par was. Boosted it up and the tank took a huge turn around.

Avast

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just said that I had the same issue in my tank. I kept thinking it was too much light and it turns out things were fading because of too little light.
I was beating myself up because my old tank was so successful and this one was killing me. Finally bought a seneye meter and realized how low my par was. Boosted it up and the tank took a huge turn around.

I'm hoping this one turns around for the better. I may have to slow down my acclimation tho, my birds nest is looking a little pale.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, acans and trumpets, oh my!

The green zoas I added last week are still pouting, but are ever so slightly opening up.

The red and blue acan got all this white and fuzzy stuff on it and the polyps were just about melted, it was carefully removed. The orange and teal acan is huge and all the babies have just about cauggt up with the large polyp, and its popping up new babies. The orange and green acan lost one polyp that was on the bottom shaded from the light, but its growing three new polyps on top near the light.

That trumpet has to be one of the toughest corals I've ever had. I just scrubbed it clean of GHA and moved to the Deep Blue Sea, it's not happy with me right now. I've had it for around nineish months when the two polyps were so close together I swore they were connected. It's been thru months of inadequate lighting and a few weeks of being half submerged in my sand bed in the nano after the urchin knocked it off the rocks. It's still surviving but hasn't really grown much. All the color is still there and under the correct lighting it has been filling back out to how it's supposed to look.

20180210_124603.jpg
20180210_124555.jpg
20180210_124549.jpg
20180210_125009.jpg
20180210_124617.jpg
20180210_124622.jpg
20180210_124635.jpg
20180210_124609.jpg

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting extremely frustrated and just about ready to throw in the towel. Chaeto WILL NOT grow. It's a s$&÷ and anyone who can grow it needs to be burned at the stake for witchcraft. The tank is COVERED in cyano, I remove it and a few days later it's back just like it was. One of my junk jebao power heads keeps cutting out and I can't afford to replace it with something nice just now... I'm almost at the point where most people just let the tank go neglected.

Is chaeto supposed to look like this?

20180211_154404.jpg

20180211_155045.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a Icecap 1K gyre pump. I'll have to check the budget and see when I can get it. Until then think I'm going to stick one of my old PP8s in the back right corner where that SW4 is going out. The thing is huge and unsightly, but at least they move water.

As far as my phosphate problem, I'm pretty sure my rocks are saturated in it, and it's slowly leaching out. My water tests very little phosphate, Hanna said 0ppm again yesterday, but the cyano is growing like crazy. I replaced the carbon and gfo in my reactor, and upped the flow on it. I'm gonna remove the chaeto until I get this tank under control. It's just rotting in the sump. The ulva still looks ok so I'll leave it. I've also turned the H380 on 24 hours a day. Nasty stuff belongs in the sump, and it's GOING to grow there.

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking @sfin52 , ok!? ;)
It's fine I'm just not used to seeing it clean!
It has a name that even the people in my lfs refer to it as, I got in trouble with r2r for starting a journal for it as apparently the everyday (England remember) word I used made me like an axe murderer! ;)
I am going to make it's journal elsewhere, shame really, I like r2r! :)
It was shut down for about 24 hours, technically 6 days old! ;)

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr

World Wide Corals

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back