Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on replacing my melanarus with a sixline as I consider them more reef and invert friendly and this was the result of trying to capture the darn melanarus wrasse no luck. Ugh. I’ll try again tomorrow and hope I didn’t kill anyone in the process ugh. It looks cleared already though.
IMG_0081.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stuck the sixline in the sump! And I got so worried he jumped out because I know they like to jump! After a solid 10 minutes or more of looking for a body. I found the little dude in the other section of the sump under the return pump lol. Phew! I took him home and covered the tank he’s in so he can’t jump out now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would most certainly be better off with the melanarus then a six line.

Yes six lines are small, and cute, but they can, and will become murderous little ******s.

I personally think your making a huge mistake switching out those wrasses.

There is a reason those of us in the wrasse thread NEVER suggest a six line.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would most certainly be better off with the melanarus then a six line.

Yes six lines are small, and cute, but they can, and will become murderous little ******s.

I personally think your making a huge mistake switching out those wrasses.

There is a reason those of us in the wrasse thread NEVER suggest a six line.
It’s a 120 so I’m hoping for the best and the melanurus has been munching on the snails and hermits and is fairly large right now. The sixline is smaller and I’m hoping more invert friendly that’s why. IME every fish is different and there’s always exceptions to the norm. Plus I love the melanurus wrasse and want to take him home for the pufferfish tank hehe. But if he does eat them no inverts then lol.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 120 so I’m hoping for the best and the melanurus has been munching on the snails and hermits and is fairly large right now. The sixline is smaller and I’m hoping more invert friendly that’s why. IME every fish is different and there’s always exceptions to the norm. Plus I love the melanurus wrasse and want to take him home for the pufferfish tank hehe. But if he does eat them no inverts then lol.
The sixline won’t mess with your inverts but he won’t let any other fish live in the tank as he matures… he will turn into a missile with teeth and kill any new comers..

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline won’t mess with your inverts but he won’t let any other fish live in the tank as he matures… he will turn into a missile with teeth and kill any new comers..
We shall see and I do plan on adding him last like very last and closely monitoring. He’ll go in after I get the goby, tang, etc.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking maybe a pink streak wrasse is better than the six-line and I’ll try and trade him for one. I was more focused on it being reef/invert friendly towards the hermit crabs and snails. Currently there is a chromis, pair of clowns, and an orchid dottyback along with the wrasse I’ve been trying to catch. I would like to put a diamond goby, purple tang, some cleaner shrimp, an urchin or two, perhaps a few cardinal fish. And that would be the tank list. I’m trying to put the more peaceful fish in first. And have the most aggressive be the very last fish added. But I know for me fish plans don’t always work out lol. But I need to catch the darn melanarus wrasse before I can do anything else. Ugh.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking maybe a pink streak wrasse is better than the six-line and I’ll try and trade him for one. I was more focused on it being reef/invert friendly towards the hermit crabs and snails. Currently there is a chromis, pair of clowns, and an orchid dottyback along with the wrasse I’ve been trying to catch. I would like to put a diamond goby, purple tang, some cleaner shrimp, an urchin or two, perhaps a few cardinal fish. And that would be the tank list. I’m trying to put the more peaceful fish in first. And have the most aggressive be the very last fish added. But I know for me fish plans don’t always work out lol. But I need to catch the darn melanarus wrasse before I can do anything else. Ugh.
Get a yellow corris they’re awesome and dont hurt anything but pods lol..

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a yellow corris they’re awesome and dont hurt anything but pods lol..
This is true.

And if you think catching a melanurus is difficult...

Have fun catching a demon in a 120g.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus doesn’t eat (or haven’t seen him) anything other than pesky flatworms, nudis, and pods.

also the only way I caught it , last of the 11 fish I was transferring…. Was after all the rock was out of the tank, and 2” of sand + water, netted him in the sand and moved the whole net of sand + fish into new tank. Godspeed to you in your adventure. Lol!! It was after this event that we named him “sandy”

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 net method works like a charm.
My melanarus doesn’t eat (or haven’t seen him) anything other than pesky flatworms, nudis, and pods.

also the only way I caught it , last of the 11 fish I was transferring…. Was after all the rock was out of the tank, and 2” of sand + water, netted him in the sand and moved the whole net of sand + fish into new tank. Godspeed to you in your adventure. Lol!! It was after this event that we named him “sandy”
My melan ate everything. He had a huge issue spitting sand on my coral. He got a new home.

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My 4 year 6 line has been a model citizen, but many bad ones out there. Fish Trap is a sure bet which is how I caught mine twice for tank transfer. They hide in any hole in a rock they can find.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AC Neon Dottyback, that hasn’t bothered any of my fish. At first it didn’t like the added Flameback Angelfish, “Similar in Coloring,“ once it figured out the Angel picking at the rocks brought out the Copepods and Bristle Worms they we’re buddies. I really like how it swims in and out of the rocks and Corals.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melan ate everything. He had a huge issue spitting sand on my coral. He got a new hom
Now u got me all worried lol. How big/old was it? Mine makes a mess every night but only when he goes to bed and divebombs the sand bed. Why would they spit sand? I have never seen this before, but does sound very frustrating

Top Shelf Aquatics

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now u got me all worried lol. How big/old was it? Mine makes a mess every night but only when he goes to bed and divebombs the sand bed. Why would they spit sand? I have never seen this before, but does sound very frustrating
Over 5" and he was roughly 4 years old, I gave him to a friend last year. The melanurus died of old age about a month ago. Wonderful fish.

I don't know why he spat sand, but he would get a mouth of sand and spit it all over my coral. All the time.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how well that Wrasse is on anti-capture but I put a type of fish trap in my tank and I could had caught my six-line 100 times a day easy, the fish I was trying to get was a Gramma though, no luck. The 6 line, clown, azure damsel and even yellow tang would go into the trap all the time. The 6 line would go in, look into the mirror for long periods and just kept attacking the mirror.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back